Bargain Sony A3500 - Australian buyers

NightBird

Regular
Name
Darren
I know it's a pretty basic camera, and fairly dull specs, however for $299 or less, the Sony A3500 seems like an absolute bargain for an APSC camera. I'm thinking as it's an e-mount, it could be paired with something like the Sigma 30mm 2.8 which can be had here for $170! Perhaps I'm missing something else about it that explains it's low price?

JB Hi-Fi - Australia's Largest Home Entertainment Retailer

Home page

cheers for the link on this, I've let a couple of my photog buddies know.
Probably the A6000 pushed the price of the Nex-6 down which in turn pushed the price of this down.
IMO Australia is a bit of a dumping ground for some unsold stuff.

As far as I remember, the A3500 was a model they created for the Australian market which differed from the A3000 by using an unstabilised 18-50mm lens in place of the long serving NEX 18-55mm OIS lens. Sometime last year I saw the A3000 (with 18-55mm) at Dick Smith Electronics for $299, and even though it is one of the most plastic feeling cameras I can remember there is still some incredible value for money in an interchangeable lens, APS-C sensor camera with built-in EVF for that sort of money.

As far as I remember, the A3500 was a model they created for the Australian market which differed from the A3000 by using an unstabilised 18-50mm lens in place of the long serving NEX 18-55mm OIS lens. Sometime last year I saw the A3000 (with 18-55mm) at Dick Smith Electronics for $299, and even though it is one of the most plastic feeling cameras I can remember there is still some incredible value for money in an interchangeable lens, APS-C sensor camera with built-in EVF for that sort of money.

Sounds like the A3000 with the 18-55 OIS lens might have been a better grab then. After my wife dropped the NEX 5r I've been looking around for a replacement lens. I think the SEL 18-55 OIS retails for $300. I don't think the 18-50 non stabilized would be worthwhile though.

Back