Bee with a new macro bellows.

Discussion in 'Macro' started by garethwi, Oct 1, 2011.

1. garethwi

garethwi SC Regular

Sep 14, 2011
    Zeist, Netherlands
    I just bought a macro bellows this afternoon, and this is my first attempt using it. This is a bee in my back garden on a 135mm lens with the aforementioned bellows. For flexibility, I used a monopod instead of a tripod. That takes some getting used to, but is much better than handheld. The photo's not perfect, but I still like it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Keep practicing, you'll get there, it will help when you can predict the rough focus distance, image size, etc. That all comes with experience of your kit.

Barrie

3. garethwi

garethwi SC Regular

Sep 14, 2011
    Zeist, Netherlands
    I know. One thing that really amazes me is the richness of the colour. It's much better than with a close-up lens.

4. I agree the colors are great, just could use a bit more focus on the bee.

5. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Bee macro

Been playing with a 40 yr old Pentax screw mount 55mm f1.8 lens reversed in front of my kit zoom. A real handful but with patience I can get one or two acceptably sharp shots on moving targets... bellows must be challenge to handle outside?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. garethwi

garethwi SC Regular

Sep 14, 2011
    Zeist, Netherlands
    They are a complete PITA. I think that with practice it will get better, but Autumn has just started, and all the insects have disappeared. Maybe it's time to buy some snake food from the local pet store to practice on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Hmmm

Have to see if there are any AF-extension tubes for M43 as a more mobile alternative to bellows as like to be ble to quickly change from macro to 'normal' mode when walking about. I'd hope they would be much better IQ than going for screw-on filters.

8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    You are all very patient and disciplined with your incredible close-ups/macros. I applaud you!

garethwi, those colors are popping!

• Like Like x 1