Before and After: Lets see yours :)

Discussion in 'Words / No Words (W/NW)' started by kyteflyer, Feb 28, 2015.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    OK, here we go. I was fiddling about with an old shot this morning and then thought a before and after thread might be nice to see. Here's what I did with SnapSeed on my Mac, which I still have (and must remember not to ever delete, since Google killed it off)

IMK55112-nosnap.

IMK55112_Snapseed.

What have you got?

• Like Like x 9
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I love seeing before and after shots. I'll definitely share some when time permits.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. NightBird

NightBird SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I always find it very interesting to see how people like to interpret their shots. I'm still often amazed with how flexible all that RAW data can be with just a few slider adjustments.

Before

Before
    by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr

After

16470671787_239c203a8d_b.
    After
    by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr

• Like Like x 15
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Oh Darren I remember seeing this shot of yours elsewhere... here? PF? Mactalk? Can't remember but its an unforgettable one!

5. NightBird

NightBird SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Thanks Sue, it may have been here I think. This was a new quick edit I did from one of the other RAW's today.

6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    (From another thread) With Bart's very considerable help, from this:
    LX100 Oakwood Cemetery Christmas 2014 053.JPG
    To this:

LX100 Oakwood Cemetery Christmas 2014 053 merge 2 and 4 xmas tree.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 8
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    This is one of my favorite before and after combinations. The first is just how Lightroom opened the raw file - the second is after basic adjustments in Lightroom and additional edits in Color Efex Plus... It's not as radical a transformation as some - it just accentuates what needs accentuating. But to me it makes the shot work.

15506078227_045e997943_h. Last Night Sunset-15 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

14551712857_d9e59c95dd_h. Last Night Sunset-15-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

• Like Like x 13
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011

16499613820_543ebf7b38_z.

• Like Like x 7
  9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Damn right it does. Its a stunner!

10. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    This is from my first outing with the X100S...I wasn't going for any particular look with the post processing, it was simply a dynamic range test, just trying to see how far I could push the file before it fell apart, as it turns out I could push it pretty hard whilst still maintaining the quality. Even though the end result is a little HDR-ish I was quite impressed at how malleable the X100S file was.

BEFORE:
    8709810424_04e2044c70_h. Fuji X100s DR test (out of camera) by Livnius, on Flickr

AND AFTER:
    8709809714_7c15e65cd7_h. Fuji X100s DR test (after LR4.4 post) by Livnius, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  11. Woody112704

Woody112704 SC Top Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Iowa
    Jared
    I'm gonna have to join in, I love before and afters. I like to see how people process their shots. I just turned my hard drive from my crashed desktop pc into an external hard drive. I'll go through it and find an image to process and put on here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Testing the amount of recovery possible from my D800e

xH90KQZ.

• Like Like x 12
  13. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    You mean that black cat eating licorice in a coal bin during a total eclipse is actually a beautiful modern building? Amazing!

(And nice shot.)

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Oh yes, I remember this one Rajiv! But you never showed us the before... before. Nothing like a FF, eh :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Yep, pretty amazing recovery. But it's not ANY full frame. Those Sony 24 and 36mp sensors that both Sony and Nikon are using are really insane, particularly at base ISO, where they have the highest DR ratings I've seen. And even slightly better with Nikon's 14-bit uncompressed raw than with Sony's lossy 11-bit. But even with Sony's treatment, I could find incredible amounts of data in it when I had an RX1. And it's not just about insane shadow or highlight recovery - it lets you do all sorts of crazy things in processing before the file starts breaking down and showing it's flaws. My shot above is from the RX1 and I'll never forget watching that thing react as I adjusted the filters in Color Efex Pro and just come to life.

Rajiv, what that a tripod shot at base ISO or handheld at higher ISO? I'm guessing a tripod shot to pull that much out of the shadows without a lot of obvious noise...

My Df doesn't do nearly the tricks at base ISO that these higher res sensors do, but it's soooo good from ISO 800 on up and I live up there for the most part, so a better set of tradeoffs to me...

-Ray

16. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    From the RX1 as it happens, Florida last year.

DSC04873. DSC04873-Edit. Not overly dramatic but like Ray, I think it just brings out the salient points. I've also used a basic raw from Lightroom and done the minimum then given it a bath in colour efex.

• Like Like x 8
  17. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I found this one too. It's not my usual style and I don't really like it much but I think I was just playing with it.

DSC04866. DSC04866-Edit-2. Sony A7R LR + Nik

• Like Like x 6
  18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Nicey done, Christina! I particularly like the first, before :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I have some friends who upgraded to the Nikon 800E and I was seriously impressed with the shots that one of them was making. (The other doesnt really... well.. you know... it aint the camera, its the photographer, and all that). I wish wish wish I could have a decent FF, but nearly all are too heavy for me, and I really don't want to cart a tripod for absolutely every shot. I've been tempted by the Sonys but they are a good couple of years off, for me so no doubt something else will attract in the interim. May have to get an RX1.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    David