Being a professional Photographer is easier than you think!!

Discussion in 'Photography Techniques' started by soundimageplus, Dec 7, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010

BE WARNED!!

<iframe allowfullscreen="" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-S3NFW2c7hA" frameborder="0" height="400" width="600"></iframe>

<iframe allowfullscreen="" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lHl1XuvwfsA" frameborder="0" height="400" width="600"></iframe>

<iframe allowfullscreen="" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C7rymjezXGU" frameborder="0" height="400" width="600"></iframe>

<iframe allowfullscreen="" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pgz35toGs00" frameborder="0" height="400" width="600"></iframe>

Truly Inspirational!!

2. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    :dance3: Hilarious. It's all about self confidence.

3. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I still can't figure out whether this is for real or she is a master of satire...

4. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
    For Real????

5. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    She can NOT be serious. Then again, you just never know...

My favourite, which I think has been posted here before.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6izuVe7qDRE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I want to be a professional photographer - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  7. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
    Thats excellent, though somewhat creepy.

8. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    "My camera came in a very nice box" - "I will not be taking my camera underwater" - love it.

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I just wish I could be so unburdened. Ignorance clearly IS bliss. Now I'll be sad all day.

10. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    "And, um, um f/stops?" -- she's got to be faking it a bit. Playing the ditsy mom. But still, my brain hurts now. Ouch.

Love the xtranormal clip, though. :D

11. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Aren't you curious about the images on her website? As they say, the proof is in the pudding. :smile:

12. Not sure if she is real or not.

I guess I could be a professional. Just set it to Auto, have the kids stand in front of a wall and there you go.

One of her comments on the Youtube page is, "I'm setting that camera dial to "A" 'cause you guys are AMAZING."

13. jhawker

jhawker SC Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Springfield, Illinois
    Being a professional.

Ha! Ha!
    Keep Eager.
    JH

14. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    That was hilarious. Pure satire. Missy indeed...

15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I wouldn't doubt for a second that she's paid to take photographs. There are a great many "professional photographers" who know little to nothing about the basics of photography. I see them all the time on flickr. They're usually talking about their "nifty fifty's" and saying things like "You really rocked the bokeh on that one". Even the blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. Part of the problem (as she explains in the first video) is how great modern cameras have gotten at getting the exposure right. I could give a little kid a camera a the magic hour and have them shoot their family and with some cropping and processing, SOME of the shots would look good enough to the untrained eye (mine included I'm sure.....I'm not trying to put myself on a pedestal here).

And unfortunately people like that (and the computer-generated gal in the other video) are putting "real" professionals out of work (or making it much harder than it should be). So being a successful "professional" is now more about marketing yourself and your images than it is about the actual images. I'm glad that for me it's just a hobby. Although it it were my profession, I'd obviously be a lot better at it. Even as an outsider, it just bugs the daylights out of me that someone picks up a hobby and a year later they declare themselves a professional and start charging people money. Imagine if I just read a bunch of science books and announced that I was a doctor.

16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    btw, while trying to find out if this was real or satire I ran across my new favorite word..... fauxtographer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    That word is so cool I'm tempted to list that as my profession. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. adanac

adanac SC Veteran

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    "what is that thing, oh shoot, the thing the light oh! Shutter speed!"

Oh yeah! That's what I've been doing wrong all these years, it's been the light thing! Thanks Missy!

19. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
    I got the original link from 1001NoisyCameras who wrote this:-
    "The reactions to these videos are perhaps a testament to the "quality" of many online and offline tutorials, blogs, photography schools, turn-pro programs, and seminars - a lot of people both on YouTube and on blogs have a hard time believing this is actually parody + satire + comedy."

The whole MWACAttack thing is done so well that there is obviously a point being made here. That some people believe it to be "true" sheds light on the nature of the internet and how photography and photographers are perceived. "Missy" is definitely my new hero, and I'd love to know who she really is. My suspicion is that there is probably a "real" photographer underneath all that "fluff" attempting to both entertain and also to challenge some of the nonsense that passes for internet punditry.

The "character" is however "played" so well, that whoever has created "Missy" for us has obviously got talent.

Finally I would say that I have taken her "tips" on accessorising to heart, and will be looking forward to the financial benefits in the future!

20. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
    New episode from "Missy" at MWAC attack. This time on marketing yourself as a "professional photographer" including tips on how to "work the worship". Wonderful stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-U9Y9X-jqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>