1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Being Human

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Isoterica, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    So whilst in Quebec we came across these Star Suites set up on location for filming Being Human. Kinda neat.
    A guy was hovering, probably making sure we did no mayhem because otherwise everything seemed quiet.

• Like Like x 7
  2. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I love your processing, very moody.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Doesn't look terribly starry does it?

Didn't know that series had been picked up by north American networks. The first series was extraordinarily good. Wonder how it'll transfer ...

4. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    We see Being Human on BBC America. Evidently this season is being filmed in Montreal. Didn't care for it too much after Mitchell and George died.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    done a bit of googling and it seems this is a remake of the first series for NA - or as the producer says "a reimagining" ... hmmm ... anyway I agree with you Kristen, I thought the first series stood perfectly on it's own, and subsequent ones just didn;t grab me at all

6. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    remakes for the NA markets do not do well, they seem to lose too much in translation to Hollywood-speak.

Nicely done images!!!

7. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    The irony is those in North America don't want to see Americanized versions of things. We are content to watch them as they are. That's like making alternative versions of Star Trek. Uhm NO! Likewise, all the movie remakes they do are disappointing. It's like, can't you think of anything new? And don't get me started on reality tv LOL. American Idol was fresh the first couple years, now they can't even keep hosts for it. Time to let that dead dog go.

8. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    There is a remake that in my opinion does a good job in translation. It is the English language version of Wallander starring Kenneth Branner, where it succeeds is that it is still set in Sweden and seems to retain a Scandenavian feel. The original Swedish language series were excellent too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    I've not heard of it before, maybe I'll have to see if I can find it.

10. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    agree on the English language Wallander, definitely still has its scandinavian feel. I like it! I've never seen the Swedish version though.

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ah i thought Branagh was a bit shouty and angry for the part. i prefer the Swedish series (there were two, with different casts) , but then I'm a bit odd anyway.

12. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    The the Right One In and the US version Let Me In are examples of the better sorts of adaptations

13. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    Close but in the end I liked the NA version of "Let Me In" more than the Swedish version " Let The Right One In"

14. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    So the swedish version is subtitled right? :D I might have swedish roots and relatives but I don't speak let alone read it and now I am curious to see both.

15. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    Yes, English subs. As already mentioned there are two different Swedish productions and both are very good. I suggest watching the older series first.

16. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Will look for it, thanks.

17. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Either your not a bit odd or I am too - I agree entirely. I like the Brannagh version but the Swedish version with Krister Henriksson is much more in keeping with the mood of the novels. The version with Rolf Lassgård was also excellent but for me Henriksson is Wallander.

18. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    You can find most of the Henriksson series (with English subtitles) on You Tube. just do a search for Wallander and look for posts by JadedMusicFan. (They are all on there so I assume the producers are ok with it.)

19. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Watched, I guess first season episodes, it was good. :)