1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best compact for holiday that's not expensive?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by thekeddi, Jun 28, 2012.

1. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Hi everyone!

I'm going to England next year for a month or so and want to get something I can fit in my pocket that's got a reasonable amount of zoom with good image quality.

I know there will be loads of suggestions! And bring them in because there are just so many compacts out now I really would like some real life advice :)

I'm taking my Canon G1X with me but would like more zoom for when I need it?

Thanks for any help. I know your a clever bunch! And feel free to post photos taken with said devices?

Kerri

2. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I doubt you'll find anything better than your G1X for what you've planned.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that's what I was thinking......are you looking for a little compact zoomer then? I think those are all about the same......buy one from whatever company has a menu system that you like.

4. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Yes Luke, just after a little one with lots of zoom for my pocket when I might need it, the G1X is for everyone else :)

5. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    The G1X will be just great as you know.
    Years ago I really enjoyed using the Lumix TZ1 and now in its latest reincarnation as the TZ20 it might fit the bill.

I don't know what prices are like at home but if you wait to buy in London ( Tottenham Court Road ) as a tourist you'll not pay the 20% VAT and the shopkeepers are familiar with the tax refund process.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    My wife bought a Panasonic ZS8 after reading this comparison of similar cameras...... Travel Zoom Shootout 2011: Conclusion

She was leaning towards one anyways. She always thinks the secret to my good photos is the word Lumix on the camera....I tell her it's the guy taking the photos. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  8. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I would have recommended some of the little Fuji super zooms but I've had 3 in a row with various lens issues.
    Sound you chose well though :)

9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    My previous compact with zoom prior to the Fuji F550EXR was a Panasonic TZ7 (ZS3), 10MP and 12x. I think either of those brands with big zoom would be fine. But Kerri, what about the Olympus you had once? It had a 30x IIRC? It seemed like it did a really good job.