1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best Pocket Camera for Monster-Mania

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Biro, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Monster Mania comes to suburban Philadelphia this month. I haven't attended one of these in a very long time but I think I may go this time with a few friends from work.

Monster-Mania Con Horror convention/ Semi-annual Philadelphia horror film and memorabilia convention

Now, I have a number of smallish cameras as you can see below. The most-obvious camera candidates for the event would be the LX7 (with it's f/1.4 wide-angle) and Pentax Q (with its f/1.9 normal prime). Right now, I figure I'll take one or the other. But, just for jollies, outside of expensive options like the Sony RX100 or the Ricoh GR, does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive, pocketable camera that will do okay in the dicey indoor lighting conditions I'll likely encounter? I would expect to have to do some post production with the output of such a camera.

2. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    That looks fun!

What budget have you got in mind?

Looking at the kits you've got I'd go with the e-pm2 and the zuiko 17mm f1.8. If that's not pocketable enough I'd take the clunky 20mm.

3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Thanks, Karen. These events can get crowded so I was thinking about something that can fit in a shirt pocket in the $300-$400 range. But maybe I should just take the E-PM2 and deal with it. Still, if anyone has a lot of experience with this class of camera and knows which do better in lower light (better being a relative term with these small sensors), I'd like to hear from them.

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I would not hesitate for a second.... The LX7 would be a winner for me in that situation

5. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    E-pm2 and the 20 for low light. Or you could buy a Q7 with that larger sensor. Have we narrowed this down enough for you?

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'd take the LX7..... or I wouldn't limit myself to pocketable. EVERYONE there is going to have cameras.....embrace it...bring your best and get some KILLER shots. Go strong or go home.

7. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    LX7 with f1.4 sounds like the winner to me

8. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 SC Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Southern California
    Rain
    XZ1 on BBY online is on clearance is another solid alternative to LX7.

9. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    I believe that monsters are best photographed with a Graflex camera with a magnesium powder flash. And don't forget to stick your press badge in your fedora!

10. AntoninaWinegar

AntoninaWinegar SC Rookie

Jul 25, 2013
    New York
    AntoninaWinegar
    LX7 is a great one and could be considered as the best one here, and it is the final winner of it

11. NightBird

NightBird SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Dare I say a Nikon V1 & 10mm for $320 (Digitalrev). You'll get better high ISO than a pocket camera (Barring the RX100's), good battery life. Should fit in a big pocket with the 10mm lens.

12. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Really, use the money to buy a fast normal and a pair of cargo pants with big pockets and take the E-PM2. It's hard to beat that sensor in a variable lighting situation. Just disguise as a tricorder or something.:jedi: Or, raise your limit to $800 and get a GR.

13. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think I'm going to have to give up on the truly pocketable idea (at least until I can afford an RX100 or a GR). It looks like it'll be the E-PM2 and the 17mm f/1.8... unless I follow Luke's advice and go whole-hog with my Pentax DSLR kit. I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for that.

14. Mark

Mark New to SC

Jul 23, 2013
    Hmm. Tricky. I am taking my Canon SX280 (for the low light ability and massive optical zoom) to the next Comic Con. I'm really struck by the zoom, it's a lot of fun in crowded situations because you can capture ridiculous expressions on peoples (or monsters) faces without having to elbow past everyone. I realise you're looking for spectacular quality, but if it were me I'd be stupid worried about something like a RX100m2.