best way to clean the lens?

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by bart, Apr 17, 2013.

1. bart

bart New to SC

Jan 7, 2013
    After some shooting in the rain I noticed that my lens has some raindropmarks. Is there a safe way to clean that tiny lens?
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    I use a microfiber lens cleaning cloth, that shouldn't scratch the lens or its coatings. I suppose a cloth to clean glasses (the kind you use to improve your eyesight) would work too.
  3. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I presume that you're concerned about "rocking" the lens when cleaning the glass? If so, then I share your concerns. The extended lens (as with any camera with a retractable lens) is a rather delicate arrangement.

I've taken to cleaning the lens by laying the RX100 on its back - with lens extended - and gently holding the outermost section of the lens between forefinger and thumb, to constrain sideways movement. Then I gently clean with a lens cloth as per the comment by bartjeej... with considerable emphasis on the word "gently"...:wink:

I don't know if this method is recommended by Sony, but it makes sense to me. It's not my recommendation - only a description of my way of doing it. Therefore, caveat: use only at your own risk!
  4. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    I used a sensor swab and cleaning fluid on one of my rain marked lenses. It worked a treat. I thought if its gentle enough for a sensor it would be ok on a lens. And no force required. Bit of an expensive way of doing it though
  5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Lens pen works done for me.
  6. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Lens pen sized for a compact.. they come in different sizes. Don't get too big of one.