Micro 4/3 Better auto focus options for two situations

Rodrigo Rodrigues

Name
Rodrigo Rodrigues
Hi guys, i'm new to photography and i just but the amazing Lx100, im so happy. I love video option on these high-end cameras.

I knew the auto focus on lx100 was not the best in the world, but i'm pretty sure with some tips i can extract the best of the auto focus system on the lx100 that is very quick and precise for photos but for video there are still some situations.

There are two conditions i'm having some issues:

1- Filming like a tourist camcorder (iA - auto mode), spot the building, zooming in, zooming out, returning to people, change the person to be on focus. Sometimes the zoom just doesn't focus the other person when i change the subject. What kind of settings should i use for optimal performance in this condition.. i've tried some type of focus associated to iA, but i'm not sure yet.

2- I was trying to film the road at night with F1.7, but the it seemed the camera auto focus was "hunting" every post light i was passing, it was very quick, but there was some focus hunting.

That's the video(Put at 3:00 and look at the car in front, getting in and out of focus at every second.:

If you guys have some experiences with those scenes, could you guys help me with the settings you're using?

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

I rarely use my LX100 for video. But, perhaps you can set the aperture at f5.6, change focus to manual, and focus the camera at the hyperfocal distance, about 10 m. Theoretically, everything from about 8 m and beyond should be in focus. Auto focus usually focuses on the closest object, and that's why the car ahead went in and out of focus as your car passed overhead lights.

Thanks for the reply Les Klein..

It's a good tip. But in the case i want to film at night with f1.7, how would be my focus range to use manual? Will it work?

I'm planning to lock the camera on my car's dashboard to make a movie in the city at night and in this case i need to set to f1.7 to get more light.

I suggest that you experiment with the camera's many features.
Using DoF tables with the lens set at f1.7, and set at wide angle (24 mm equivalent), set the camera focus at 5 m. The Depth of Field will be from 2.4 m to infinity.
Check out photopills.com, one of many online calculators available.

Oh.. thanks.. I will check the table at photopills website.

Update: I've checked the table, i think your numbers doesn't match. Can you check again? I don't know if i did something wrong.

Last edited:
Perhaps you can specify what numbers you used. I assume that the focal length in these tables are not “equivalent” values.
Here’s the specs for focal length for the LX100 (from Panasonic):
"Focal Length f = 10.9 - 34mm/(24 - 75mm in 35mm equiv in 4:3, 3:2, 16:9)/(28 - 88mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1)/(28 - 87mm in 35mm equiv. in 4:3 in 4K Photo recording)/(27 - 84mm in 35mm equiv. in 3:2 in 4K Photo recording)/(26 - 81mm in 35mm equiv. in 16:9 in 4K video / 4K Photo recording)/(32 - 101mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1 in 4K Photo recording)."

So, assuming you are setting the lens at its widest (24mm) the actual focal length is 10.9mm. There are slight differences in video, depending on the format.

Using 11mm to enter the DoF tables, yields the values I reported above. If not, please point out my error.

Yes, you are absolutely right.. The table doesn't convert to 35mm equivalent when i set the camera model.

Yes i set to 11mm and now i have your numbers. 5m, f1.7 = ∞ .

And hyperfocal 4,81m, So 5,00 m safely does the job..

Thank you very much for your help, Sir.

Back