Big day for me!

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Wow, epic day for me.

Hard to believe, but I took a huge step forward in my photographic life today. I finally configured one of customizable buttons on my Canon G12 . . . that funny “S” button on the left-hand side of the optical viewfinder. I set it up so I can select JPD, RAW, or RAW+JPG.

Now, I can guess what you’re thinking: “Elliott is that advanced? Pretty soon Magnum or National Geo will be pounding on his door, and he won’t be posting at Photographers’ Lounge anymore, ‘cause he’ll be trotting the globe, snapping pix for them.”

I doubt it; I now have a Major Project under way: trying to configure one of those custom settings on the PASM dial. I’ve appointed a Blue Ribbon panel to study the problem. So if you don’t hear from me for a few months . . .

In the meantime, I’m going to meditate on the good ole days . . . when all you had to worry about was aperture, shutter speed, and film choice. And what was that other thing? Oh, yeah . . . composition.

Still, if I wait long enough somebody will come out with the GZ3.14159 programmable roboquadcopterdrone. I’ll just whisper to it what I prefer, and it will float out the door, patrol the neighborhood and take a few frames that it thinks I might like. That composition stuff is way overrated.

Cheers, Jock

Back