Bill Cunningham New York - documentary

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by krugorg, Nov 5, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Did anyone else catch the documentary about Bill Cunningham, the NY Times fashion photographer? This was the first time I had heard of Bill, but thought it was a great documentary... what an interesting personality!

The film focuses on style, not photography. He says something to the effect that he is not a photographer and real photographers would consider him a fraud. I was impressed with his ability to zero in on a theme on the street, though, and then crank out a ton of images, whether walking or riding his bike, bulky SLR and all.

Zeitgeist Films :: Bill Cunningham New York :: a film by Richard Press

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks Kyle, I'll take a look...of the top of my limited memory, his name is not ringing any bells though I'm not really a fashion follower.

3. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Ditto on not being a fashion follower. :smile: This is just one that popped up in Netflix recommendations and I thought it may be something both my wife and I would enjoy (that scratched Captain America, unfortunately).

Again not really about photography or much focus there. But what a fearless street guy... 80 years old and he is riding his bike in NY traffic with a SLR in one hand.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Fearless indeed!

5. Michael Penn

Michael Penn SC Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I saw it when it was released last October. The DVD was released a couple of months ago. I loved it.

6. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Saw it yesterday after reading this thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks, Kyle.

Cheers,

Antonio