Bill Cunningham New York - documentary

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by krugorg, Nov 5, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Did anyone else catch the documentary about Bill Cunningham, the NY Times fashion photographer? This was the first time I had heard of Bill, but thought it was a great documentary... what an interesting personality!

The film focuses on style, not photography. He says something to the effect that he is not a photographer and real photographers would consider him a fraud. I was impressed with his ability to zero in on a theme on the street, though, and then crank out a ton of images, whether walking or riding his bike, bulky SLR and all.

Zeitgeist Films :: Bill Cunningham New York :: a film by Richard Press

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks Kyle, I'll take a look...of the top of my limited memory, his name is not ringing any bells though I'm not really a fashion follower.

3. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Ditto on not being a fashion follower. :smile: This is just one that popped up in Netflix recommendations and I thought it may be something both my wife and I would enjoy (that scratched Captain America, unfortunately).

Again not really about photography or much focus there. But what a fearless street guy... 80 years old and he is riding his bike in NY traffic with a SLR in one hand.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Fearless indeed!

5. Michael Penn

Michael Penn SC Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I saw it when it was released last October. The DVD was released a couple of months ago. I loved it.

6. ajramirez

ajramirez SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Saw it yesterday after reading this thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks, Kyle.

Cheers,

Antonio