Black and white, or monochrome photos of people

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
5460336554_067bc392fc_b.jpg

Leica X1 on the Outer Banks of NC

I sometimes (often?) prefer B&W to color pics because of the great "atmosphere".
Got to take a look into my database in order to upload an image.

Absolutely lovely, Antonio. Thank you so much.

You know how I feel about the one of your wife because I've already told you, but this one of your son is new to me. The light on his face, the smoothness of his skin, his coloring... He's so innocent looking. The love shines through in both of these, Antonio.

Devotees wait for their turn at a famous temple in Jaipur, India, on an auspicious day. Thanks to the superzoom compact I was carrying (Canon PowerShot SX10 IS), I managed to get close to the temple entrance while standing on the other side of the road! Shot in RAW (CHDK). I owe this image to the one person who turned his head around, an image with too many backs would have been inappropriate, imo.

ganesha_temple_jaipur.jpg

Mayank, I agree - that one young man who has turned his head to look does make this photo sing. Your black and white treatment and the degree of "zones" that you've achieved also really enhances the image. The whites of that man's eyes, those couple of white shirt collars, the white design on the back of the dark jacket on the lower left - and the patterns of what we can glimpse through the temple's door all work so beautifully together. These highlights help draw me, along with the devout, through the doorway. I feel as though I am being carried along in the throng.

I don't know the camera you used, but I am very impressed by the way you were able to use the zoom to reach across the road for this photo. You and your camera worked really well together!

BB: your daughter looks so comfortable and secure - utterly charming.

Mayank: I agree with all that BB said. As well, I think the use of the super zoom and the foreshortening really adds to the feeling of pressure of the people waiting to get in.

Good observation regarding the super zoom and the foreshortening! Great example of how sometimes your feet just can't do what a zoom can.

P.S. Thank you Kathy and Mayank for your responses to the portrait of my daughter. I appreciate what you both said very much.

Back