Blizzard of 2016

One note about running in a blizzard. Be careful. It was fun but whiteout conditions and required full concentration. I could not see the terrain three feet in front of me. I'd be running along and then stumble over a pile of snow that was all but invisible. When I was a half mile from my house I thought, "Ok, I've had enough" and trudged that last half mile. I was never in any real danger but I can't imagine being in the woods during a storm like this.

Anywho, this is how I cleared off the chiminea last night:

24595225655_c17dd05f34_b.jpg

Chiminea, bourbon, and snow
by John Flores, on Flickr

23968767643_7f17265afc_b.jpg

Winter's evening
by John Flores, on Flickr

I was going to buy x70 (really like the tilt and touch screen like EM10), but I couldn't resisted when Nikon refurbished offer 10% discount, came out $386 with tax. The camera is like brand new, shutter count 36. Received a couple days before the storm arrival. Here's a few SOOC jpeg from yesterday. Love the camera so far, very fast operation via zone focus (wish nikon fix the distance scale issue, distance reset when camera turn off). AF is slow compared to my EM10.

Attachments

• DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 108
Nobody posted yet so I start... We have so far 2 feet ~ 60cm and it is still coming...

Earlier in the morning:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

Later in the afternoon:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Post yours...

Those long shots really compress the layers of falling snow and convey the severity of the storm. Nice.

Question, there's a halo of sorts in the first one - is that a window reflection or something?

Disclaimer: Boston has barely had any snow so far, certainly not a blizzard. We got maybe 2" a week or so ago, and then the big east coast storm gave us another 3" I think? Not much.

We had an invite saturday for dinner and a sleepover with friends, about an hour bike ride away in Jamaica Plain, and the snow wasn't bad enough to deter us. So we hitched a trailer to the wife's single speed dutchie and headed down.

24517744072_4c6f829ba0_c.jpg
KBRX9299
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Later after dinner, we got to watch the plows struggling up their steep street...
24599915386_25f038f838_c.jpg
KBRX9318
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Sunday, back at home, we got to go goof off in the new snow, albeit shallow.
24626087395_1022a791b3_c.jpg
KBRX9341
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

24517739642_7b2b73915b_c.jpg
KBRX9367
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Nice shots Kyle - I think you folks got enough snow last winter to sit this one out without any loss of severe weather credibility... What was it, something like 80" within a week and a half? I know it was a ridiculous amount of snow...

-Ray

Yes, I like the compression comes with a zoom. With the wider lenses, I have to open full size to see snow...

For the reflection, I thought of window (double pane) initially also. The lens is Contax g 45mm f2 lens and it showed with the Contax g 35mm shots too, not with other lenses. The e-adapter shows f2, but the lenses were stopped down to f8 or so. The photo got worse with the shadow/highlight/contrast adjustments. I am guessing the reflection is due to internal lens or adapter reflection (or even sensor topping glass). Maybe the amount of light reflected from snow/glass caused, since I have not seen it before when I used the lens. Both lenses are small, same as Olympus 25mm/45mm 1.8 size, on full frame digital.

Those long shots really compress the layers of falling snow and convey the severity of the storm. Nice.

Question, there's a halo of sorts in the first one - is that a window reflection or something?

Nice shots Kyle - I think you folks got enough snow last winter to sit this one out without any loss of severe weather credibility... What was it, something like 80" within a week and a half? I know it was a ridiculous amount of snow...

-Ray
I had to look it up... about 65" in Feb alone, and over 110" total. And none of it started til almost the END of January, aka "nowish."

After a week and a half of warm temperatures and a bit of warm-ish rain, there's STILL a good size blanket of snow here. It's finally reasonably safe to walk around (some OK sidewalks for a while, but sections that force you out into extremely narrow streets). Here are a couple from a sunny day yesterday. Today's projected deluge should finally result in a lot of green patches showing through... These are both with an old non-AI 35mm f2.8 on the DF.

24757496806_af43978c9c_h.jpg
WC 35 f2.8-20-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

24488193670_717e9ee4a2_h.jpg
WC 35 f2.8-24-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Same here today - raining hard and nearly 60. I don't expect to see much left tomorrow...

-Ray
I was right and I was wrong. We lost a lot of it quickly, but the piles in every spare corner of our condo development were so big, that the dregs are just now getting ready to disappear for good. Despite MANY warm days and rainy days... This is the last of it I'm aware of, right outside our next door neighbor's garage...

25451877866_695275f6b6_b.jpg
The Dregs
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Back