Blown away by XZ-1 image quality....may have to get one!

Discussion in 'Olympus Forum' started by Ghosthunter, May 25, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I have been thinking of getting a compact for my holidays and when I go Ghost Hunting!! It's a toss up between the Oly XZ-1, Pany LX-5 and Samsung EX1. I have been poring over hundreds of images from all 3 cameras and it's very close but despite reviews saying the LX-5 is the best all rounder, the XZ-1 just shines above and beyond for IQ. Some of the LX-5 images do look like they are from a compact... well I guess they are but then again the wide focal length is a lovely 24mm compared to the XZ-1's 28mm and also the shutter speed on the LX-5 is 1/4000 compared to the Oly's 1/2000. The Oly and Samsung images look like they come from a DSLR and the XZ-1 images are just SO sharp!!

So have any of you come to the same conclusion or was there another reason why you bought a XZ-1 over the LX-5 or EX1?

2. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I was seriously considering the EX1 or XZ-1. The faster lens, the VF-2 compatibility and the UI similarities to my E-PL1 really sealed the deal.
    I feel I would have been happy with either as far as IQ goes.

3. Jeff Damron

Jeff Damron SC Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I am shooting the XZ-1 as I am reviewing it for this very site, but I am considering getting one for myself. That lens is really sharp and, while there is some noise at 1:1 even at ISO 100, it cleans up nicely and easily in LR3. It isn't perfect, but I have found it fun to use and have been very impressed with the results so far. Don't want to say too much too soon, but it is definitely a quality offering worth considering I think.

4. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Jeff I rather like the noise, it offers a 'bite' to the images, like grain in film :)

5. nursenicole

nursenicole SC Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    Boston
    Lili,

my name is Nicole, I am a few months' new to both this site and Mu-43.com-

those were the exact reasons that sold me on the XZ-1 as well! I have an EPL1 and i just wasn't happy with the larger size of both the camera and the lenses...I have only had the XZ-1 for a few days now so it's too soon to be certain, but so far it seems like it was the right choice. The s95 and LX5 and the Nikon P300 and a few others were all up for consideration, and seem to be fantastic cameras with lots of appealing qualities, but in the end: I just LIKE Olympus products, I love my EVF2 and would have been sad to see it collecting dust, and I am already familiarized with the EPL1 user interface.

So. Yeah. looking forward to sharing some of my own pics and continuing to ogle all of yours! :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Glad to hear you took the plunge, Nicole, and I can't wait to see some of your pictures!:whoo:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Good choice Nicole, love my XZ-1!

• Like Like x 1
  8. nursenicole

nursenicole SC Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    Boston
    i must be missing something really obvious w/ XZ-1

...I can't seem to turn ON digital zoom- it's grayed out in the menu. Granted I don't think I really WANT digital zoom turned on... but why can't I even get to the on/off submenu? Is there some setting I have set that is preventing me from using digital zoom?

9. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    Just posted a couple of 'pics' on the XZ-1 image thread one is close a close-up.
    I used the 'cuisine' setting instead of the macro because I think it gives a 'closer' pic: which do you use for close-ups/macro.

10. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I have been processing my XZ-1 pictures from our summer vacation and all I can say is that I love this camera. Sure, it has limitations, but it is light, small, flexible and takes great pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

It sure looks like a terrific camera. I have really come to appreciate the small flexible package (like the XZ-1, LX3, LX5 etc.) not only as an addition to my G2 but instead of the G2 in many situations.

12. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    [​IMG]
    no gainsaying just how well that fast lens does
    XZ-1 ISO 320 from RAW

• Like Like x 1