Discussion in 'Nature' started by davect01, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Caught this guy just hanging out while I had the 70-150mm Vivitar on my NEX-3 at about 70 yards away.

I had a hard time getting a good image. He was sitting in the shade, while the background was sunny, so I tried the HDR option.

The HDR is a bit clearer, but looks processed. I was going to try a different mode, but then he wandered off into the grass.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    Very nice, such a beautiful animal! Regarding the HDR or the regular versions, at least for the first photo my preference goes to the normal one. Second photo I have no real preference.

You're so lucky to be able to encounter a bobcat like that; in Europe, we have their bigger cousin the Lynx, but in the areas where they still live or have been reintroduced, you can wander the forests your whole life without ever seeing one... they're incredibly shy animals.
  3. thanks

This is the second time I have seen one, the last time was in the 90's. Very shy here as well.

The shooting was tough due to the animals coloring, it is designed to blend in. Making it stand out was tough.
  4. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Ohhhhhh lucky sighting and good shots!. You made the best you could given the situation.
  5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Great shots - even under the challenging conditions.

What an amazingly beautiful creature! Hope they're not hunted for sport in your they look far too majestic to deserve it!
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Dave I think I like the normal shots even though the cat is darker. He's also more separated from the background. Maybe its my eyes, but I dont see him so well in the HDR versions.

What shots though! Lucky timing!
  7. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Great shots. You did well to spot him, he blends in so well.
  8. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    You must move pretty stealthily - great grabs!
  9. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    You know, I was pleased the other day because I captured the picture of a squirrel trying to run up my leg in the park but it's pretty lame next to this. Well captured! You have more exciting wildlife than we do here me thinks!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    It's so cool that you were able to see a bobcat in the wild - let alone get photos, Dave! I, too, feel that it's much easier for me to see this beautiful animal in the non HDR pictures.

Karen, I'm laughing about the squirrels. We're overloaded with them! Sadly, here in the suburbs of NYC we also have too many deer...also wild turkeys, and coyote though I've never seen a coyote here, I know they're around. Squirrels are the bane of my dog's existence...well, really my existence since he enjoys chasing them.:wink:

Dave, good for you - I hope you have more opportunities!
  11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Dave I got a chance not to see these images on my PC versus my phone, Bravo for you!!!!
    Any chance to see one of these so stealthy and shy creatures is wonderful
  12. thanks

Thanks again guys. As I said, it was tough to get a good image.

I have only seen a bobcat up close once before, years ago.
  13. Those Cats are hard to shoot.. they move around so much.. I have been there..