Feedback Brainstorming a new name for the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of keeping the name or just adding"+" or "Plus" to Serious Compacts. It might be best to wait until we see how the posts and conversations go before selecting a new name - assuming we even do that. The character of this site might remain the same or it could evolve into something that's quite different - pointing to a moniker that isn't occuring to any of us today. It might be wise to consider the possibility of unintended consequences. We've opened the site to broader discussion. That's a good thing. Let's take it a step at a time.

Reactions: BBW
Whether or not to change the name hinges upon what the goal of the site is.

The Red Pill
If we like it the way that it is and aren't interested in growing the place by attracting like-minded individuals who happen to be using bigger cameras, then the current name works. The risk is eventual atrophy as people drift off to forums more focused on their camera choices. Amin likely has membership and site traffic data to support or contradict this.

The Blue Pill
If we like the idea of retaining people that may be drifting off AND attracting like-minded souls using bigger cameras, then the current name doesn't really work for the latter group. Sure, some will figure out that the contents don't exactly match the name on the tin, but there will also be many that land on the page, don't connect with the name, and leave fairly quickly. The risk is attracting users that disturb the current friendly vibe. But that risk is inherent in nearly any growth scenario and can be mitigated by moderation. And this is where a new name is important, to quickly signal to like-minded folks that they take a look around while signaling to disrupters that they should spend their time elsewhere.

By this measure, I agree with others that Dynamic Rangers, while very clever, doesn't really fit the spirit of the current group.

And again, we've got to decide (or Amin, more pointedly) whether we want to take the red pill or blue pill…

I'm interested in the blue pill because I think that there are many more out there that would enjoy this group and be valuable additions (I can think of several friends off the top of my head) but don't know of it or don't necessarily identify with the "Compact" of Serious Compacts.

With that said, I'll make my pitch for Photographer's Asylum:

1. It emphasizes photography over gear. Gear, of course, will always be part of the mix, but I don't think it's an identifying quality. Compared to other forums, I think that there is more photos and less gear talk here, and that's something that I'd be happy to see evolve even more (towards photography) over time.
2. Asylum works both ways-as a respite from the rancor of other forums and also as a "we're all a little nutty in here and we're ok with that." I think that speaks to the origins of the group in the first place-this attraction to small cameras while the rest of the world was embracing DSLRs and the like.

My $.02, non-refundable.

I like John's "Photographer's Lounge" (it's available as a .com). It is laid back, doesn't lean heavily one way on gear or photos but implies all can be shared here.. which is what we do.

Luke had a lot of awesome ideas, some wittier ones and Bill had some great Light related ones too.

Also.. there is now.... ( .photography .photos .club .guru & .ninja (lol) available though .com might be more appealing to you )

Sorry I'm not more help. I can't figure out my own site domain, letting isoterica.com go-- but someone in korea is sitting on my name so it won't expire for another year and I don't want net, I don't want to add an initial, etc. pft.

John has won me over. And I do really like Photographer's Asylum! although it is a bit of a mouthful compared to most website / forum names

Whether or not to change the name hinges upon what the goal of the site is.

The Red Pill
If we like it the way that it is and aren't interested in growing the place by attracting like-minded individuals who happen to be using bigger cameras, then the current name works. The risk is eventual atrophy as people drift off to forums more focused on their camera choices. Amin likely has membership and site traffic data to support or contradict this.

The Blue Pill
If we like the idea of retaining people that may be drifting off AND attracting like-minded souls using bigger cameras, then the current name doesn't really work for the latter group. Sure, some will figure out that the contents don't exactly match the name on the tin, but there will also be many that land on the page, don't connect with the name, and leave fairly quickly. The risk is attracting users that disturb the current friendly vibe. But that risk is inherent in nearly any growth scenario and can be mitigated by moderation. And this is where a new name is important, to quickly signal to like-minded folks that they take a look around while signaling to disrupters that they should spend their time elsewhere.

By this measure, I agree with others that Dynamic Rangers, while very clever, doesn't really fit the spirit of the current group.

And again, we've got to decide (or Amin, more pointedly) whether we want to take the red pill or blue pill…

I'm interested in the blue pill because I think that there are many more out there that would enjoy this group and be valuable additions (I can think of several friends off the top of my head) but don't know of it or don't necessarily identify with the "Compact" of Serious Compacts.

I very rarely quote long posts en bloc, but you really nailed it.

I used to take a fair number of blue pills...***** Oh No, not blue pills - red pills!

I like Ray's
I still like Serious Compacts, but how about an extension or taglines like "but not too serious and not necessarily compact"...
....or we could call it TheBluePill.com and see what the spambots do.:tongue:

Amin, is there any advantage - SEO wise - in keeping the original name or justing adding the "+" or "Plus" to it?.

Not much. As long as we forward everything correctly, Google will transfer our SEO juice from one name to the other.

Reactions: BBW
I like it, a lot, except for the foto bit. "photo" better. Or "photon pub". but that's a bit "big bang theory" really ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back