Bridge camera, which one?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    You assume is best, offers value for money?
    Opt. or sensor-shift stabilization?
    I prefer man. zoom. EVF too, preferrable Hi-res.
    Is EXR (Fujifilm) really a must have issue?
    My fav. so far is the Fuji HS30EXR.
    I do look forward to this discussion.

2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm also looking to a new bridge cam in the future and was considering the xs1 because of the larger sensor. Its big bulky and heavy.. But after seeing some of flysurfers shots... Could be worth it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hi Sue, do you have a link to flyserfers shots? I too like the XS1 ! That makes two of us.

4. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    I would have liked the xs1 but out of my price range. I bought the sx40hs from canon and it's really good! Loads cheaper and the stabalization at the long end of the zoom range is brilliant.

Good luck with your research, that's the fun part!!

5. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    The high end Fuji bridge cameras have always been nice. Still regret not getting an S100fs or S200EXR.
    The HS series have gotten mixed reviews, however the HS30EXR seems to be better in this regard.
    THe XS-1 is dreamy but the orb thing would be an issue for a night owl like me....

6. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    This is what I use as a bridge camera these days
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/6951125134/" title="Untitled by colette_noir, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="Untitled"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  7. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    One from early this morning on the SX40 just a little crop and saturation added.
    There were a couple high up in our gum tree which is huge! I was really impressed, hand held, full zoom.

[​IMG]
    2012 9:02 AM by mertlee, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Unfortunately, he seems to have deleted them, all are showing picture not available. Here's a link to a flickr group, it might help. And here for a thread which has some from Bill (Perth Bill) and Burkey

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I'm happy with the X-S1 and find the zoom lens ideal. You need LR4 to process the RAW shots though (or the version of Silkypix supplied). No white orbs yet.

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Hi Bill. I know mileage may vary for different users, but I was wondering if you describe the differences you see between the X-S1 and the GH2. I have been flirting with the idea of getting out of the micro 4/3 format. Part of my thinking is that I have the X100 for when I want great IQ, but I need something else to do macro work and I enjoy the occasional telephoto fix. How do you feel it is IQ-wise...is it "close enough" for me not to care? How is it to operate? Is it a little speedier? Any input you might have would be appreciated.

I think it would be liberating (for me anyways) to have just 2 cameras and no need for collecting lenses.

11. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Luke I enjoy using both cameras. The GH2 seems faster overall and it of course has interchangeable lens (incl my 9-18 and my 7.5 FE). That said I used the X-S1 for my sister's 80th birthday celebrations and it didn't let me down. I actually sold my PL45 and P100-300 to get the X-S1. So for an all-in-one package it's the X-S1 and for ultimate IQ it's still the GH2 (esp video). Hope that's clear.