Featured Butterflies

Discussion in 'Nature' started by bluzcity, Aug 3, 2017.

1. bluzcity

bluzcity SC Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Early August to Mid November brings a substantial increase in the number of butterflies in our area of the southern US. A few from last weekend.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
    35485849004_2148a65d52_o.

Spicebush Swallowtail
    36322274965_83674f91b4_o.

A Pipevine
    35485836714_e127670339_o.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    beautiful shots, Brent. Every time I see a butterfly, they never sit still....any tips?

• Like Like x 1
  3. bluzcity

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Thanks Luke,

I located an area in a state park, not far from my home, a few years ago that is parallel to the Mississippi River. The park has a creek that carries water from the bluff areas of the park into the lowlands and eventually into the river. Each July this particular area produces a bloom of these yellow flowers. They range from 5 to 8 feet high. Once they have bloomed the butterflies began coming. The past week I was about a week early, there were butterflies, but probably by the next weekend the flowers will be covered and by late August into September the Monarchs will arrive. The challenges for me are:
    1. Right time of day. I was just scouting so I was there when the light was low and many shots I had to use too high an ISO. It is tricky getting dynamic light that allows detail in the butterfly without blowing out the flowers. So early morning or mid to late afternoon work better for me.
    2. I use a monopod. The area is ripe for snakes so I stand on a cleared area in front of the flower area and use a zoom. These were shot with the Sony RX 10 MkIII. I also utilize stabilization even when using the monopod.
    3. I watch their activity for 15 minutes or so before I shoot to detect patterns. It seems there are particular flowers to which they are attracted more than others. Once I see one approach a flower twice, or two or three approach the same flower I will set up my monopod and wait. I'll usually get a subject in a short time.
    4. I wait on a composition. I am not the most patient person but I've learned to wait until they crawl around on the flower and get into a position that creates a decent composition.

Thanks for looking..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Nice couple of shots

5. bluzcity

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Thank you!

6. bluzcity

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Thanks for the feature!

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    They really are gorgeous, Brent. I have a friend who likes shooting butterflies and dragonflies and their ilk, and her words of wisdom echo yours. The most important being patience. Alas I dont have much :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Top Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Butterflies can be very skittish. I've scared them away many times when I was trying to creep closer "just one more step".

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JKLso

JKLso SC Regular

Nov 24, 2014
    near Kelso WA USA
    jim
    Fantastic! Up here it's been an excellent year for caterpillars.. but nearly all will be moths not butterflies :frown:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1