1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Butterfly and clouds - D-Lux6.

Discussion in 'Macro' started by dalethorn, Sep 14, 2013.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

This was most unusual (no PP effects, this is how it looked after a small crop) not so much for the butterfly as for the background. We were having frequent storms and in between had a lot of skies full of puffy white clouds. Click on small image to see original. f2.8, 1/1600, ISO 80.

Butterfly04_s.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    very nice

3. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Really nice, and it looks like you could have used even a little more DOF (funny to say that about a small-sensor camera).

I think that's a female eastern tiger swallowtail, dark morph.

4. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Awesome. Personally I love the shallow DoF although I'm not sure if the top of the wing is sharp. If so, it's perfect!
    Thanks, Peter

5. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I like shallow DoF, the issue here is that the body, eye and proboscis are OOF.

It can be difficult to shoot butterflies "out in the wild".

6. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks! Your eyes are sharper than mine.

7. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I think its more that I've shot about 10 million OOF butterflies! :biggrin:

It's still a nice image, though, and if for some reason Dale wanted to go a little nuts, he could selectively sharpen it a bit.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

The different DOF comments are perceptive - it started with a lone butterfly that's rare for this area, and it buzzed me a few times, telling me I suppose to take its photo. So out came the camera and I strolled over to the flower and shot two bursts of half a dozen frames each. The DOF was narrow and each image focused slightly different. I don't recall that any of them seemed sharp for all parts of the flower and butterfly, but DOF issues I've had with the LX7 and D-Lux6 seem more the rule than the exception, unless it's a still subject and there's plenty of time to use better settings.