Buy the 5N or wait for the 7

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Vincenzo Landino, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Vincenzo Landino

Vincenzo Landino New to SC

Jan 26, 2012
    New Haven, CT
    Good morning all! I just got rid of my entire DSLR setup... wasn't carrying it around, and Im looking to get away from studio work anyway.

I am torn.

I think I want the NEX line of cameras however, I want the 7. However, I keep hearing and seeing that the 16.2MP sensor on the 5N is better, which to me is more important that form factor and extra bells and whistles.

I remain torn.

I need anyones help. Do I just buy the NEX-5n with the Zeiss 24 1.8 or do I hold off in hopes to the NEX-7 coming out soon?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Welcome to SC Vincenzo. There are a number of sites comparing the image quality of the 5n vs 7. I believe what most of them said is that at lower ISO's, the 7's sensor outresolves the 5n. At higher ISO's, the 7 is noisier, but only looking at the images at or near 100% magnification. Downsample the image from 24 mp to 16, and the noise levels are more or less the same.

That being said, I think the most important thing is whether or not you need (or want) a new camera right now. You could wait for the 7 to become available to the masses. But will you be missing some priceless photo opportunities by waiting for however much longer?

I just put a deposit for the 7 at my local store. Unfortunately, there are 7 people ahead of me, and only 4 cameras coming in at the end of this month.

Just thought of a third option if you really want the 7! Get the Zeiss (which I personally haven't found anywhere either) and get something like a NEX3 now. Bodies can be found used for pretty cheap around the Internet and in closeouts at retailers. If and when you get the 7, you can sell the 3 at a minimal loss, or simply have a backup body. The 14 mp sensor on the 3/5 are also actually quite good. Meanwhile, you will be shooting away while waiting. Who knows you may love the 3 so much that you won't want the 7. And save yourself $1200! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vincenzo Landino

Vincenzo Landino New to SC

Jan 26, 2012
    New Haven, CT
    I definitely thought about doing that (option 3) but I still have my old film Canon AE-1 for the meantime. I should hopefully get the 7 soon

5. elroos

elroos SC Regular

Nov 5, 2011
    Netherlands
    I had the same dilemma and decided to buy the 5N. The better high ISO noise performance of the 5N and the fact that the 7 has a problem with wide angle rangefinder lenses (magenta color shift) made me choose the 5N. + the 5N was available.
    I have not regretted my choice.
    Just my 2 cents.

6. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    I also had the same dilemma and bought the 5N and a Sony/Zeiss 24mm lens. I figure I can always buy the 7 later and either keep the 5N, since they seem to have different strengths and weaknesses, or sell it and just use the 7, but I would have that great lens. Meanwhile I am enjoying the 5N and think the whole NEX system is first rate. If you get a 5N and begin getting along with the menus and that wonderful peaking feature you probably won't regret that. I usually figure that any camera I buy can later be sold, and the loss can be counted like it was a relatively cheap rental fee. Best wishes in your decision. Let us know what you do and how you like it.

7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Sorry for hijacking the thread for a little bit!

@Dan, how does that 5N + Zeiss compare to the X100 given that they are the same focal length? I haven't seen too many photos from the Zeiss yet.

8. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Armanius, I took some today on a stroll through a local park. I'll try to post them later today or this evening.