Sony Buyer's Remorse Already?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I took my wife to a local outlet mall this weekend, to take advantage of some President's Day clearances. She met with success and came away with a number of great deals on clothes she needed for work, etc..

As we were leaving, I dropped in on the Sony outlet sore. I was tempted to spring for a 50-inch 1080p HDTV (240 hz, Internet-able, Smart TV, etc) for $799. But the truth is, I have nowhere to put it and our very expesnive, solid-wood armoire will only take a 32-inch HDTV.

But on my way out of the store, I spotted the Sony RX100. They had brand-new examples at the MSRP of $649. But they also have a number of refurbished units for $529 and a full two-year warranty was only a few dollars more. You see my kit below. The only thing missing is a truly pocketable quality camera with a zoom lens. I've read all about the RX100 and so I went for it, along with an extra battery and a proper external Sony charger that plugs into a wall outlet.

But now, before I have even charged up the battery, I'm thinking perhaps I've made a mistake and really should wait for the X-20 and/or save for the X100s. I know - neither is as small as the RX100. I have 14 days to return the camera. But, right now, I'm thinking it might go back tomorrow. I think what's bothering me most is the price. Even with the refurb discount, I'm still paying over $600 with the external charger. I'm just not sure I see the value here.

Honest question: Am I missing something? Have other RX100 owners felt the same way at the start but were won over by the camera? Again, I've read the reviews and I don't normally experience buyer's remorse.

When I got it it was the most expensive camera I had ever bought, but I thought long and hard about it first. No buyer's remorse here - it does all I want of it and I'm no longer interested in smaller sensor compacts even if its a 'bigger' smaller sensor. X100 is a completely different type of camera so for me it would never be an alternative.

You need to follow your gut. If you are not comfortable, then return it. The price in the future will only drop further. But I agree with Olli. I'm very aware of the price mentally, but the portability/performance ratio is outstanding.

I had the opposite thing happen. I was wowed by its IQ and particularly it's low light capability (especially at the wide end) at first, which allowed me to overlook the things I didn't like about it. But over time, the lack of feel and tactile controls as well as a few capabilities it didn't have at all soured me on the camera and I got to the point I enjoyed it less and less each time I shot with it. Very capable but just no damn fun for me to shoot with.

So, no, no buyer's remorse initially, but a serious case of it over time. Maybe you'll have the opposite experience and grow to love it!

-Ray

Back when I was using only my Canon DSLRs I found that I did stop taking them places with me so a backup pocket-sized compact made sense even if I never liked the handling of something so small (nor the IQ at the time for that matter). These days I am yet to find any mirrorless or fixed-lens m4/3 to APS-C sensor camera too restrictive to carry, even if it does mean the camera comes along in a small bag rather than a pocket. If you're considering the RX100 in the same breath as the X20 and X100s, maybe the smallest size isn't your priority either?

So, even though I gather the output of the RX100 has come a long way compared to smaller sensor pocket cameras, it just doesn't make sense for me to own one because I wouldn't benefit from it's standout feature (size). The RX100 is a bit unique at the moment and if I wanted a pocket sized camera now it is the one that I would get. As regards to smaller fixed-lens cameras having that size of sensor, I do see the RX100 as (hopefully) the thin end of a wedge.

It took me a bit of time to get used to the control layout, but after using it as the main camera on a 2 week trip I feel very much at home with it.
I also find the quality good enough that I wasn't missing the DSLR I left at home. My main worry is that my wife is going to steal it and then I'll have to agonize over buying another RX100 or getting something else :D

You got 2 weeks, so I would use it for 3-4 days just to try it out.

OTOH I know when you get that feeling that its just not for you, and you just want to bundle it up and return it immediately. As others have said, based on your other stated options it sounds like minimum size is not a priority for you, which is the main advantage of the RX100 over the others.

You got 2 weeks, so I would use it for 3-4 days just to try it out.

OTOH I know when you get that feeling that its just not for you, and you just want to bundle it up and return it immediately. As others have said, based on your other stated options it sounds like minimum size is not a priority for you, which is the main advantage of the RX100 over the others.

Everybody is different. I bond (or not) very quickly initially, it's a matter of hours. Sure, any camera take longer than that to get to know, but I always follow my gut reaction. As others noted, this is the digital world, prices will only go DOWN. If you have second thoughts, use it for a day and still in doubt tonight, just return it. The X20 should be fabulous, I know I recently bought the X10 and that as such is so good I'm NOT taking any other camera on trips from now on (even though I'm normally addicted to APS-C).

I like mine, I have no regrets in buying mine. I took it as my main camera to Krakow in December and it carried out its job admirably. I was very happy with the output and loved the convenience of the small size. The closest I have came to regretting a purchase is the G1X. I hate the way it feels in my hands but then I see the images it produces then I realise that the ugly duckling has the inner beauty of a swan. So I held on to it. All that said, it doesn't matter what other folk feel about the RX100. If you can't find anything to love about it, then it has no place in your bag. But do give it a chance.

I had the opposite thing happen. I was wowed by its IQ and particularly it's low light capability (especially at the wide end) at first, which allowed me to overlook the things I didn't like about it. But over time, the lack of feel and tactile controls as well as a few capabilities it didn't have at all soured me on the camera and I got to the point I enjoyed it less and less each time I shot with it. Very capable but just no damn fun for me to shoot with.

So, no, no buyer's remorse initially, but a serious case of it over time. Maybe you'll have the opposite experience and grow to love it!

-Ray

Ray, did you get rid of your RX100... and do you still have your LX-7?

Ray, did you get rid of your RX100... and do you still have your LX-7?

The RX100 is now my wife's. it's perfect for her - stays in iAuto and she interacts with the zoom rocker and shutter button and nothing else, so the interface doesn't bother her at all. I definitely still have the LX7.

-Ray

I bought the rx100 as a take anywhere.. Be able to pull from my front jean pocket.. The only camera from Fuji that fits that bill is the xf1. The x10/20 is only slightly smaller than the x100, more of a coat pocket size camera IMHO. So far I still like the rx100 for my intended use.

I would say use it for awhile (before return period ends), before u make a decision.

Gary

For me, it's hard to warm up to something. I either like it or I don't. I may like it at first, and then dislike it later. But if I dislike it at first, I rarely like it later. In my humble opinion, I'd return it.

Well, the camera went back today. I thank everyone for their feedback. After further thought, the problem with the RX100 - for me - isn't that I don't think it's a good camera. I'm sure it puts out great results for its size - in fact, I know it. And I'm sure I can adapt to the camera's user interface well enough.

No, for me, it's that the total bill came to nearly $700 with refurbished camera, two-year warranty, small belt-mount case and the external charger with extra battery (both of which I feel are necessary). If I went with the brand-new RX100, the price would have been more than $800. In either case, that's more than I am willing to spend on this class of camera at this time. That's based on how much I'll likely use the RX100 versus the rest of my gear.

What's more, I could put that $700 toward a Fuji X100s or buy a Fuji X20 outright and have money left over. Perhaps when the price of the RX100 finally comes down late in its run. I could see paying $500 for the camera and charger - but that's just me. I am in no way questioning RX100 owners on their purchases. I might eventually have one as well.

my next buy will be a D600, or maybe a D7000, (the price is now "a steal"), or maybe the D800 ........I know I'm bouncing between FX and DX, but Nikon have not released a new DX 20+ meg body which is what I really want........ my D300 has been marvellous but I just fancy a "later model" with better low light and high ISO performance

I am still a DSLR guy ...... small sensors just do not do it for me ..... I have tried a lot of the SCs, but the DSLR still wins as my main body and nikon, (and canon), still produce the best lens range....... if M43 had developed better longer lenses and quality glass them maybe I would have persevered ........ but they have not. .........

I just had a really incredible shoot with my 5D on Saturday night. The results were so pleasing to me, that I just can't give up my DSLR.

Back