Sony Buyer's Remorse Already?

The last time I took my old 50D out I loved the results, but the date on the images is the 20th October 2012...exactly four months ago today. Hmm, talk about occasional use. I'm going to travelling overseas again soon and it will be the first time out of the country where I won't have a DSLR, yet I will the best kit that I have ever taken travelling with me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to add the 50D and 24-105 into the backpack as well, but sadly it is a tank.

Well, the camera went back today. I thank everyone for their feedback. After further thought, the problem with the RX100 - for me - isn't that I don't think it's a good camera. I'm sure it puts out great results for its size - in fact, I know it. And I'm sure I can adapt to the camera's user interface well enough.

No, for me, it's that the total bill came to nearly $700 with refurbished camera, two-year warranty, small belt-mount case and the external charger with extra battery (both of which I feel are necessary). If I went with the brand-new RX100, the price would have been more than $800. In either case, that's more than I am willing to spend on this class of camera at this time. That's based on how much I'll likely use the RX100 versus the rest of my gear.

What's more, I could put that $700 toward a Fuji X100s or buy a Fuji X20 outright and have money left over. Perhaps when the price of the RX100 finally comes down late in its run. I could see paying $500 for the camera and charger - but that's just me. I am in no way questioning RX100 owners on their purchases. I might eventually have one as well.

I frankly can't blame ya at all honestly the RX100 one camera that either you'll love it or hate it simply no middle ground for it.

Hasn't Nikon already released a few 24MP DX model DSLRs?

yeh, the D3200 and D5200 are DX with the "new" 24MP sensors, and "new processing engine", but the bodies are less robust than the D300

I would think that because of their smaller size the D3200 would make a good "compact" camera

I posted my comments as some have indicated that if I did "upgrade" from my D300 I may regret it, (buyers remorse!)

D800 - hard disk would be full of 30MP+ files
D600 - dust on sensor
FX - I loose the crop factor and therefore the extra range which is what I want
D7000 - controls etc., different from D300

I dropped almost msrp when the E-P1 came out. It took me a year to really figure out the camera and if I liked it or not. Price wise, I was dissapointed at how fast the prices fell. Overall, a fantastic experience. Some of my best photos to date were from that camera.

I don't think the RX100 is a love it or hate it camera at all. In fact I find it very in-between, but at the higher end of in-between. I've had a DSLR for five years and my latest Panasonic ZS3 decent point and shoot for four years. I've now had an RX100 for a month, and I love it. I use the vinyl Sony retro case for it that came for from from B&H when I bought it. Makes it grippy and protected and styin'. I've found lately that the kids have the Panasonic, and all I typically have with me is my iPhone. It is indispensable to have a camera with me almost all the time. I just didn't like the iPhone results for anything but Facebook posting. The RX100 completely fits the bill for that anywhere, anytime shot. And so it bridges between capturing a moment and truly allowing me to get a really nice quality landscape or macro or creative shot if I make the time. Comparing it to my Pentax K5 and a limited prime lens, no it doesn't, and I'm not ditching the SLR. But if I'm NOT looking at pictures from both of them at the same time, the RX100 is fantastic. And if I don't fuss about highlights etc. Great in low light for what it is. Great video. Panorama mode is a charm. Its depth of focus control is really something for its size. I've actually just used Auto and Aperture-priority as I've had no time to search its features. And I just get good shots, quickly focussed, all the time. And I'd be happy to print and frame its results at a significant size if desired. It's really a marvel of engineering, and I'm really glad I got one. I think it's exactly what most reviewers have called it: that camera for serious enthusiasts who want something approaching DSLR quality in a pocketable size.

Bottom line: it's always with me, and that's the difference. And the results are very satisfying most of the time.

something approaching DSLR quality in a pocketable size.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.:)

Your comment above is spot-on, in my view. Of course, the phrase "approaching DSLR quality" doesn't mean "the same as DSLR quality", but it's certainly much closer to DSLR quality than I had imagined it could possibly be.

As I mentioned earlier in this string, I ended up taking the RX100 back. I could take or leave or the camera; neither loving it nor hating it but being fully aware of its abilities. I just thought it was too expensive for this class of camera.

Yes, the sensor turns out great results and is much better than most of the compact competition. But if the new Ricoh with an APS-C sensor is going to be $799, the RX100 is a bit too expensive.

In the end, I bought an LX7 on sale - brand new with warranty - for $298. Sure, the Sony's sensor is better but the LX7's image quality is good enough for a compact and the overall camera is a joy to use.

As I mentioned earlier in this string, I ended up taking the RX100 back. I could take or leave or the camera; neither loving it nor hating it but being fully aware of its abilities. I just thought it was too expensive for this class of camera.

Yes, the sensor turns out great results and is much better than most of the compact competition. But if the new Ricoh with an APS-C sensor is going to be $799, the RX100 is a bit too expensive.

In the end, I bought an LX7 on sale - brand new with warranty - for $298. Sure, the Sony's sensor is better but the LX7's image quality is good enough for a compact and the overall camera is a joy to use.

The rx100 replaced my lx3 mainly because I wanted something as good, but would fit in my front jean pocket. I still have my lx3 and still using it, just not as much. On the other hand if the new Ricoh or Coolpix had come out at same time as rx100, I may have gone w/ the Ricoh mainly because I am already familiar w/ UI layout..since it will fit in my front jean pocket as well..

Now it will be interesting to c if Sony answers back w/ a rx10...

Gary

For me the RX100 has more or less replaced my other cameras and cured my GAS :whoo:
It's been six months since I got it and while I still start twitching when I see a new announcement it usually doesn't take me long to conclude that the RX100 is still a better fit for my needs.

If I really look closely at the images it's not as good as my D5100, and of course I can't get the shallow DoF that my 50mm f1.8 lens can provide, but in most situations I don't need it.

The RX100 is a lot better than both my S95, LX5 and XZ1 were, both in resolution and noise at base ISO. I don't often shoot high ISO and less so at long focal lenghts, so the slow lens doesn't bother me that much.

The UI doesn't bother me anymore, I got used to it, and the combination of features is fantastic. I don't think I'd want a compact again without focus peeking or a virtual horizon, and the way I've set the camera up I very rarely have to menu dive.

It's not a perfect camera, I doubt one will ever be created (and especially not agreed upon by everyone), but it's the best compact camera I've ever used and in most situations it makes my DSLR completely redundant.

The lack of any kind of eye-level viewfinder has kept the RX100 off my list since it came out. I'm impressed with the images I've seem from it, but LCD only is just not for me. I carry the Fuji X20 (and the X10 before it) on a little case that my belt slips through, and it's never in the way, nor getting beat up in my pants pockets.

But you hit the nail on the head when you wrote, "the overall camera is a joy to use." What YOU love to shoot with is what matters.

Back