Calling all Computer Experts: Grebeman needs our help with SC and Mu43!

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by BBW, Jul 3, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I've been in touch with our good friend Barrie AKA Grebeman who continues to have problems with both Serious Compacts as well as Mu43. I asked him to write exactly what the problems are with as much detail as possible so that we can try to figure out what he can do, as the conventional methods of clearing his cache have not worked.

After reading, please if any of you have computer knowledge that relates - post here in the thread and then I will email Barrie with your suggestions. Many thanks in advance!

2. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Apart from the cache, there are other low-level info stored by the browser (eg cookies), maybe clearing that would help.

But as he says the problem also happens on different computers, but always with Firefox, I'd try a different browser to see if things are any different. Chrome and Opera should both be alternatives different enough from Firefox to see if this isolates the problem.
    If this behavior remains, I'd look into the user registration in serious compacts and mu-43 which, if I remember well, are hosted on the same machine. Maybe something in his logins is corrupted on the server. I'd see if a newly created user has the same problems.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Hmm
    Couple of thoughts ...
    Wonder if you are ticking the "remember me" box at each login? (If I don't do this, the site logs me out after a while)

So if you aren't , try it and see happens

If you are, then as the problem persists across a number of platforms, as you say, the probability of it being a problem beyond the local PC increases.

Always worth a try with a different browser -- on Windows, the evil IE, in Puppy, SeaMonkey - but as the latter is a fork of Firefox, you might also want to try Opera.

It might be worth (if you haven't done so already) posting a query with your ISP.

A "clutching at straws" idea is reboot your router (if you haven't done so already)

Apart from that ... DNS?

• Like Like x 2
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ah, See the synchronicity!

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
    This is due to a new service we are using for security/performance called CloudFlare. Barrie might want to run a virus/spyware scan on his machines. In the meanwhile, I lowered our security setting to prevent false positives, so hopefully this problem has gone away.

The login issue is probably due to our DNS propagation issue, which has resolved for most people but may take longer for others. The solution for this is to wait it out. There's nothing else I can do.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks, I'm copying and forwarding this all on to Barrie.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have emailed him at Flickr too

8. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Well, can you tell us who he is at Flickr, because he's not "grebeman" - that grebeman is taking pix of Arizona and Pennsylvania. Barrie seems to have misplaced his Flickr ID!:wink:

9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    malware is fairly unlikely as his main platform is Linux, but you never know

• Like Like x 1
  10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    oops.
    there's going to be a very confused person in AZ and PA then ... I really ought ot have looked at the photostream properly before i mailed !

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  12. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I've removed the inaccurate Flickr account info.:th_salute:

• Like Like x 2
  13. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Barrie has received my emails and has written:

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
    Some info from CloudFlare:

• Like Like x 3
  15. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi everyone, I seem to be in at the moment, I've been able to post a bundle of thanks on this thread, let's see if it will enable me to post this response. I've ticked the "remember me" box as per Paul's advice, good one Paul, thanks for that. Well here goes.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  16. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Oh yippee, I'll try some more testing tasks later, like uploading photographs and trying to post them, then I might be ready to tackle Mu-43 and that dreaded CAPTCHA that I can never read.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  17. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    This sounds like progress ... now, if you can just tell us what you have been doing in Arizona ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I have quit using firefox, because I have more problems with it than Chrome or explorer. This is windows. BUT, I also have a drive that I had up and running with UBUNTU and firefox that did not have the same "handicaps". One thought that I have is that maybe by running on memory without "virtual memory", and no hard drive (do I understand this correctly), loads up the memory with "pages" that have too be dumped. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  19. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Paul, I love deserts, I so enjoyed my time in the Middle East back in the 70's, Arizona would be high on my list if I travelled to the States, you'd get bored with all the photographs I'd be posting after that trip.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  20. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    snkenai, yes you can run Puppy from a live DVD on a machine with no hard drive. I my case I do have a hard drive that I mount, but that is only for saving files to, the whole operating system and all applications are on the DVD. I'm not sure about your thoughts, I'll have to look on the puppy forum to see if there are any relevant comments. I realise that my way of doing things is rather unusual, but I'm not aware of any problems being highlighted.
    I can always configure another DVD with a different browser to see if that helps, Chrome and Opera are certainly available in the Puppy repository, as is Seamonkey which I have used in the past.

Barrie