Can you tell which is which? (another one of my silly tests)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, May 16, 2017.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    My better half (AKA my spotter) and I took a walk at Oakwood cemetery the other day. We knew it was going to rain, so I took the OMD EM5 II and the 14-150, both of which are supposed to be weatherproof.

We were fortunate enough to get a shot of a Cooper's Hawk on the ground with its prey, shot at 300mm e with the Olympus digital zoom kicked in (so really, 600mm e).

OMD dogs and oakwood 061.JPG
    Still, I wished I had the reach of the Sony HX400V . . . but it is not weatherproof.

This am, I wondered how images shot with the OMD EM5 II at 600mm e (with digital zoom kicked in) compared with HX400V shots at 600mm e (with no digital zoom), so I shot a pair of images.

Camera A:

A 600.JPG
    Camera B:

B 600.JPG

Then I got curious how the two would compare if no digital zoom was involved, so \ here's a pair shot at 300mm e.

Camera A:

A 300.JPG
    Camera B:

B 300.JPG
    All shots were handheld, shot through a window, trying to focus on the lettering on the garbage can. No attempt was made to "normalize" the exposure; I put both cameras in P mode and faire roulez les bon temps.

So . . . which is the Sony and which is the Olympus?

Cheers, Jock

2. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I'll go with A as the Sony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If we assume that A and B represent the same cameras in both examples, then I also go with A as the Sony.

4. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I vote for A for the Sony, as the red burned out. If A is the Oly, then I'm really disappointed in Oly, lol

5. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    All of you are correct; A is the Sony.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 2