1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canalside, Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by pdh, Jan 13, 2014.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I rarely post alternates, and more rarely still do I "flip" a photograph ... but this simply works better, to my eye:

11935111084_b097f8523d_c.

• Like Like x 2
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Paul, I rarely critique others photographs, but I will in this case. You are right, the image works this way round. It seems more comfortable somehow, could it be that since we normally read from left to right the line of the bank and the gunwale of the sunken barge draws the eye naturally into the picture when printed this way round. Some printed languages read right to left, I wonder if a person who reads that way round would feel differently. If not perhaps something else is going on.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Its very curious isn't it?

It even feels tonally different to me, though nothing has been changed other than the "flip".

It'll be interesting to see whether the effect persists on paper as well as screen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Yes I note when cropping that I always seem to place the subject to the right (more often than not)

Part brain, part Left to right reading

it may be different emphasis in other cultures

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The other thing about this particular image is that, aside from any considerations of "subject" or the way the lines lay in it, is that in the flipped version there is a clear graduation from shadow to light , left to right.

7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Yup now flip the first one

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ah but I like the first one the way it is :smile:

9. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Well i did

Balance of black is about equal (ish) Original has a sort of tension Flipped is more soothing in comparison

• Like Like x 1
  10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I like a bit of tension.

(I'll PM you an invoice for use of my image, just the usual 60 guineas of course)