Canon Canon 650d

mta1963

Rookie
I have just got my "small dslr" Its a Canon 650d that i have mated with my Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM Lens.
This is to be my small/compactish camera for walking around with, street use and general snap happy days.

My other camera is a Canon 60d.

First Impressions of the 650 compared to the 60 -
1. Despite being only marginally smaller on paper the 650 feels much smaller in comparison.
2. The 650 feels much lighter in weight.
3. Touch screen is really quick and responsive, it could be useful in certain circumstances.
4. VF focussing speed is quick and seems accurate.
5. Big Plus - The live view focussing is vastly superior comapred to the 60, its really quick and up there with the G12 - I understand this may be slow in comparison to other compact systems but for me its fast enough and good enough.

I was torn between getting a true compact such as the FF X100 or Canon G1x But the "spare" 38mm lens and preference for DSLR swung it for me,

I have had this for 48 Hours, i will post more findings when i have them,

Regards Mike

Good for you Mike! I have that 28mm lens and love it. It has a lovely bokeh and does great close-ups too particularly on a crop sensor camera. Also I might recommend a circular polarizer for daytime shooting if you don't have one. That lens w/polarizer [except for at night because you lose a couple stops of light] or my 50mm compact macro are my main walk around lenses.

Thanks Guys and thanks for the tip Kristen,
The 50mm Macro sound like a good idea also!
Once ive used the new camera i will post some more thoughts,

Regards Mike

Good for you Mike! I have that 28mm lens and love it. It has a lovely bokeh and does great close-ups too particularly on a crop sensor camera. Also I might recommend a circular polarizer for daytime shooting if you don't have one. That lens w/polarizer [except for at night because you lose a couple stops of light] or my 50mm compact macro are my main walk around lenses.

Mike, the 50mm Macro came out of my desire to get close and I found that when I was using other lenses I couldn't pop off macro shots here and there so.. I went with a fixed prime that could get me close too. It's 1:2 but you can always pocket the Life Size Converter. The 100mm macro is great as well, you can take fantastic portraits with it. Can't afford the 180mm [Can you tell I'm a macro nut!] and am trying to avoid EF-S lenses should I ever go full frame. I have the kit EF-S but once my daughter is done using my 450D for school I will probably sell them [not the camera but the lenses] Can't wait to see what draws your eye with this new camera!

Thanks Guys and thanks for the tip Kristen,
The 50mm Macro sound like a good idea also!
Once ive used the new camera i will post some more thoughts,

Regards Mike

Mike, the 50mm Macro came out of my desire to get close and I found that when I was using other lenses I couldn't pop off macro shots here and there so.. I went with a fixed prime that could get me close too. It's 1:2 but you can always pocket the Life Size Converter. The 100mm macro is great as well, you can take fantastic portraits with it. Can't afford the 180mm [Can you tell I'm a macro nut!] and am trying to avoid EF-S lenses should I ever go full frame. I have the kit EF-S but once my daughter is done using my 450D for school I will probably sell them [not the camera but the lenses] Can't wait to see what draws your eye with this new camera!

Thanks again for the info, i have been playing with the camera at home and have been shooting the kids of the family and the results are very pleasing so far, I will keep you informed.! Regards Mike

Back