'Canon Doesn't Need a Compact System Camera' at AmateurPhotographer.co.uk

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    READ ON at AmateurPhotographer.uk

via 1001 Noisy Cameras
    • Like Like x 2
  2. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    "The manufacturers that have introduced micro Four Thirds and mirrorless systems have been those that have failed to make a success of their mainstream digital SLR offerings, according to Rainer."

No doubt GM and Ford used to say something similar about Toyota and Nissan.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    It's called "misdirection." If I had to bet, I'd bet that Canon comes up something in the next 2 years.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    Armando, that "misdirection" has a legal flavor to it. Is that what witnesses do when they want to obfuscate?:biggrin:
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    None of the headline statements in the article were direct quotes so I am left wondering how much artistic license was taken in printing them.
  6. ZDP-189

ZDP-189 Twitter: <a href="http://twitter.com/#!/ZDP189">@Z

Apr 18, 2011
    Everything is true:

• I agree that Canon doesn't need a mirrorless system.
    • They make good compacts and DSLRS, including small DSLRs.
    • Manufacturing mirrorless would require a loss leading period and risks undermining their reputation.
    • Mirrorless systems would also cross-compete with existing Canon products.
    • Joining M4/3 would not serve Canon in the long run

However, a year or three from now, the situation may be different.
  7. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    I do think that manufacturers should stick to what they know best and concentrate on making those products as good as they can possibly be.
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman SC Rookie

Mar 6, 2011
    A complete summary of my feelings regards this issue! Right on the money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I woud tend to agree that it doesn't make much sense for Canon to make a mirrorless system. They're the largest maker of cameras in the world with a hugely successful line of compacts and DSLRs. They are good at what they do. Mirrorless cameras don't fit into their product mix nor their customer base. Would I buy a Canon camera? Probably not. I have no issues with their products other than I just don't care for them. Is their decision a smart one for the long term? That depends on how popular they become. Microsoft waited too long to come out with a competitor to the iPod and look where it got them. You could argue that at that time Apple was a company that had not done a good job with their core product in competing with MIcrosoft. The subsequent popularity of the iPod opened up new markets and opportunities for Apple and a decade later they are heading toward being the first trillion dollar company. Microsoft is still hugely successful but it could be argued they should have paid more attention to things a decade ago.