1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon G12 accessories

Discussion in 'Canon Forum' started by elsie350, May 1, 2012.

1. elsie350

elsie350 SC Regular

Apr 7, 2012
    Has anyone got opinions on the genuine canon vs 58mm non canon accessories for the G12?

I have an oppertunity to get the genuine adaptor ring, 1x4 tele converter, 4xmacro, fisheye and wide angle lens at half price for £180 or I could buy a non canon lens kit for £80 with all the above.

Grateful for any advice or opinions

Kev

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    What brand is the non Canon kit. In my experience you get what you pay for and may regret the extra 100 pounds you should have spent.

3. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I always buy canon for canon sans filters, bought the adapter for my G12 so I can use a polarizer. Didn't need the other things but if I did I would go canon. For my dslr for instance, extension tubes, just rings with air, right? No glass etc.. and yet I got canon because I had read of a lot of people having problems with lenses becoming uncoupled and dropping to the ground etc. So I spent a little more on the tubes so I didn't lose several hundred $ lenses to cheap couplings. I didn't hear stuff like that with canon gear at all. Research if you want to save a few bucks and if it sounds safe then do what you feel is right.

4. elsie350

elsie350 SC Regular

Apr 7, 2012
  5. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    The lens adapter is different from the filter adapter. I can't put lenses on my filter adapter. Just 58mm filters [and a lens cap!]. As for why I don't choose the other lenses, I have a dslr. I just felt it was unnecessary.

6. elsie350

elsie350 SC Regular

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks, I didn't realise that. I guess not having a dslr anymore I'm thinking along those lines with my accessory fest

7. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Accessories are terrific, I'm not saying they aren't :) If I had just the G12 I would get all the toys too. I have a few antique cameras that I have the 'full set' of accessories with.

8. Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack SC Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Alsace, France
    My wife bought me a set of Zeikos G12 accessories last Christmas. The only bit I've found useful is the USB/SD card adaptor. The w/a lens produces circular images only and the magnification of the 1.4x tele is so meagre it's not worth the trouble of mounting. I haven't bothered to look at chromatic aberration etc.