Canon Canon Mirrorless CSC Coming July 24, 2012?

Amin

Hall of Famer
According to CanonRumors, Canon is expected to announce a new mirrorless system along with a few lenses on July 24, 2012. CR is about as dependable as rumor sites come, so when they say that the date is "pretty solid", it's worth marking down on the calendar.

This is one of the most anticipated systems in the history of cameras. Do you think Canon will come meekly into the mirrorless CSC market or look to dominate from the outset? Are they too late?

Source: CanonRumors via 1001NoisyCameras

I'm actually quite interested on Canon's strategy in marketing the camera, at this point of time I'm not really looking for another camera but I really want to see what Canon brings to the table, I'm hoping it's something unique and they think outside the box rather than having a "me too" mentality. Sony's NEX models , Nikon's 1 series, Olympus' OMD and Fuji's X series are all great camera's in their own right they're all far from perfect but they all bring something special and unique to the table. They target a specific market and consumers will always have a specific reason for choosing one over the other e.g. Lens line, pocketable, fast AF, IQ, shooting experience, etc...

I'm hoping that Canon decides to bring out something different and not just make a "camera similar to.....but with faster/ slower/ brighter/ bigger.......", as one of the last big names to throw their hat in the ring with their mirrorless offering I hope they release something we havent seen before (no, I'm not talking about a camera that pokes you in the eye everytime you press the shutter release.)

I hope they come in strong n put pressure on the rest to keep improving
But I'd never buy a canon... It was hard enuf moving from Nikon to Olympus fanboi... I can't jump ship again! ;)

Canon are a bit late to the party, but they are a super camera company with access to a lot of expertise. Like the others, they will most likely release a consumer level camera first with nasty consumer level lenses, and gauge response from that.

If this holds true, it will probably be another year at least before we see any serious glass or bodies from a new Canon system, unless they have a rock solid EF/EF-S adapter for it. They will need to pull very fast AF out of the bag if they are going to compete with the now-mature m43 system, although no doubt their marketing department will pull out all the stops to push a new camera line.

I love my 5D Mark II and older Canon compacts, but since getting into Ricoh, Fuji and Sigma I find that most Canons are too mass market oriented. Sure, that is where the sales are, but they play it too safe and don't cater as much to the desires of the enthusiasts. Canon will have to come up with something very groovy if they want my mirrorless dollars.

Those are good points Phoenix about each mirror less system having its own unique features and design- far more so than DSLR's.

I would think it is inevitable that Canon will have their own system, I can't see them going out of their way to copy Olympus, Sony, etc. They might end up with something that is sort of a mix of all of them though, trying to incorporate the best features of other mirror less mounts into their new mount.

I'm actually quite interested on Canon's strategy in marketing the camera, at this point of time I'm not really looking for another camera but I really want to see what Canon brings to the table, I'm hoping it's something unique and they think outside the box rather than having a "me too" mentality. Sony's NEX models , Nikon's 1 series, Olympus' OMD and Fuji's X series are all great camera's in their own right they're all far from perfect but they all bring something special and unique to the table. They target a specific market and consumers will always have a specific reason for choosing one over the other e.g. Lens line, pocketable, fast AF, IQ, shooting experience, etc...

Don't say that. Then I'll have to go and buy every bloody one of them!

I could easily jump ship if it's in a rangedfinder-esque body style with a built-in viewfinder. I've been waiting forever for Panasonic or Olympus, but they don't seem to be interested.

But my guess is that will be less exciting and look like their well regarded advanced compacts G series cameras.

I guess you're right. I just want it to look more like any of these ....... canon rangefinder - Google Search and less like a lump of black plastic.

I love the X-Pro1. It's a touch past my budget. I LOVE my Fuji X100 and am OK with it not being the fastest, easiest camera to operate. But if I spend around $3,000 for a system camera, I expect a bit more. I'm not knocking the X-Pro 1. It's just not the right camera for me.

I keep on hoping one of the big guys will really push the envelope and develop an APS-C or larger CSC that had good operational speed, maybe a hybrid PDAF/CDAF focus and a handful of good lenses from the start. I guess mirrorless still is not enough of a threat to CaNikon and they are more worried, maybe rightfully so (?), about cannibalizing from the big DSLRs (if they develop something too capable). I mean, nothing at all wrong with those sensor sizes, but seem like they are playing it safe and not really bringing anything new to the market.

How about one that only pokes you in the eye if you picture will be lousy? They could call it "Tactile Ocular Aesthetic Significance Test".

Oops, gotta keep the reading glasses close at hand, I thought you said 'testicular.'

Canon is too late to the party but people will still buy them because of the name.
They are also a bit hit and miss, too often their cameras are a simple check list of features that people want or think they want lumped together without any thought given to how they actually work. Take the OVFs in their Ixus and even worse their G series cameras, there for one purpose only to check a box, no real usability at all and a waste of space and effort or the flash whcih always popped up on the SX200 (or so) rather than only doing so if engaged. Their dSLRs are popular but the entry level are cheaply built without any real innovation that they show in the more advanced models, all that new models have are one extra scene mode and feature to distinguish from their older model. Their customer support is also lacking with them not releasing a firmware to add RAW to the G7 but forcing people to buy the G9 instead.
So I will wait and see what they release, if it will be a flop like the Nikon 1 series or something decent like the Sony NEX or the Olympus OMD. In the end though it's all about the lenses and there no system comes close to m4/3 and I doubt Canon will offer a decent lens selection from the start so I say give them 1-2 years at least to see what lenses they come up with because the greatest camera is no more than a paperweight without a decent lens to mount on it, just look at the NEX-7.

Still, after using the GXR Mount A12 with some great M and screw mount lenses, it will take a lot to get me interested in a digital system that does not support them properly.

I don't think that Canon are too late since mirrorless cams have hardly captured a particularly large slice of the market yet (outside of a few Asian countries anyway). I'd be interested to see how the G1X translates across to an ILC system, with autofocus speed remaining as my greatest concern. The presence of a capacitative touchscreen on the 650D bodes well for the same to appear in a MILC. If you look through threads in a Canon forum like POTN everyone seems obsessed with being able to use EF and EF-S lenses on it. I suspect that that will prove to be a lot less fun then they think, but the ability to do so will likely sell a lot of cameras.

I don't think that Canon are too late since mirrorless cams have hardly captured a particularly large slice of the market yet (outside of a few Asian countries anyway).

I'm not sure about that. From what I'm seeing in most european countries (as well as Asia) it is only a matter of months before mirrorless cameras reach the same market share as DSLR everywhere. Frankly, I think some companies like Nikon and Canon are going to be hurt very very badly before they realize it.

This is CIPA statistics from last year:

July-September 2011

Japan : DSLR - 58% Mirrorless - 42%
Europe : DSLR - 83% Mirrorless - 17%
Americas : DSLR - 87% Mirrorless - 13%
Asia : DSLR - 78% Mirrorless - 22%

October-December 2011

Japan : DSLR - 50% Mirrorless - 50% (+8)
Europe : DSLR - 79% Mirrorless - 21% (+4)
Americas : DSLR - 78% Mirrorless - 22% (+9)
Asia : DSLR - 70% Mirrorless - 30% (+8)

It's probably quite a bit "worse" for DSLRs six months later.

I don't believe that Canon will be too late. They have strong brand recognition. I still see far more Canon and Nikon basic DSLRs than any other type of camera, and I believe that implies a strong potential market for a Canon mirrorless system. It may eventually also mean the end of the low-end DSLR. But it's just a matter of trading one for the other.

Their silence for so long in the mirrorless category could mean that they are taking their time and doing it right (whatever that is). It depends on who they want to appeal to, but to me they need a solid native-mirrorless lens roadmap. They don't need an extensive lineup, but one that covers most needs (like the Nikon 1 lens lineup with a few more primes).

I would hope that it is APS based, or perhaps only slightly smaller in order to keep them compact (camera and lenses). However, they should differentiate themselves from M43s (thus, APS).

However, perhaps they could also release their first EVF-based DSLR like Sony is doing, but with a smaller and less DSLR-like form factor. Using the current lens lineup.

I'm still hoping for some competition to the pricey M9 in FF format but the market segment is probably too small for canon...

Back