Canon Canon Powershot S95 and Some Thoughts About Camera Size

Somehow I missed this thread :eek: Anyway I was in the same boat as a lot of people here looking at the S95, Samsung T500/EX1, the Sigma DP1s and others. I got the T500/EX1 and could not be happier. I had mistakingly thought the faster lens of the T500 would not be that big of a deal, I was wrong. I also thought the articulating OLED screen would not be that big of a deal. I was wrong again.

After using the T500 for a few weeks I would never buy a small compact camera without an articulating screen and a fast lens.

One other point to make about the wide end while it is a 22mm equiv in 35mm film terms, in reality it is 5.2mm which means that you get good DOF.

This shot
SAM_0239.jpg

Was taken at at 5.2mm and f/1.8

You could only get this shot with a camera such as this. If I tried to use my DSLR at f/1.8 and 22mm the DOF would be so shallow it would not work, yet here you have enough that it works. Yes it is a bit soft but the amazing thing for me was this was shot at f/1.8

Thanks for asking! Here is our link for Amazon UK: Amazon UKhttp://www.assoc-amazon.co.uk/e/ir?t=scompacts-21&l=ur2&o=2" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />

Also, if you use any of our UK affiliate links on [URL="http://www.mu-43.com/f17/mu-43-shopping-mall-3802/"]this page[/URL], it will help pay for this site since Serious Compacts and Mu-43 are on the same server.[/QUOTE]

I found it cheaper elsewhere, so I ordered it and it arrives today :-) I used the donation link on the mu-43 page and donated instead - hope that is OK..

Well i have just got back from the shops with a little package! It's the s95. I really did like the s90 and looking back i should have kept it but i sold it and have now 'upgraded' to the next level... kinda! Just need to work out the differences now.:)

Andy - I got one a couple of weeks ago - I carry it with me most of the time
I just see it as complementary to my M43 stuff and DSLR

It's good and I really like the size - I'm just waiting for the thousand $ snap to cross its "little lens"

The S95 made my short list but like Amin I *really* prefer fast glass at *all* focal lengths.
Carrying a Purse means I ultimate compactness is not the highest priority.
So I adore my XZ-1 :)

The S95 made my short list but like Amin I *really* prefer fast glass at *all* focal lengths.
Carrying a Purse means I ultimate compactness is not the highest priority.
So I adore my XZ-1 :)

HI Lili - and Amin
Welll - anguish is over for me - Like you and Amin, I really prefer fast glass, and so I also bought an XZ-1 today. First impressions are really good.

Back