Canon releases S95

Discussion in 'Canon Forum' started by JoepLX3, Aug 19, 2010.

1. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    • Like Like x 4
  2. arpoador

arpoador SC Regular

My S90 has been in my pocket for a year now, and this one is claiming to be much better in the IQ department.

What I can see on the surface is that they "fixed" the rear ring (which is way too loose on the S90), made the shutter release easier to find with your finger (it hides on the S90), and swapped the power & ring function switch (after a year I still click the wrong one, since they're obviously backwards on the S90). In other words, they completely fixed 3 of the 4 ergonomic issues with the S90. ... And they may have fixed the fourth one too, since they claim that the new surface finish makes it easier to hold.

If they really come through on the IQ front, it will be hard not to upgrade.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Looking through the specs I noticed that the S95 supports 4:5 image size (aspect ratio). That's new to me.
    Why 4:5, who shoots 4:5?
  4. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro

Jul 14, 2010
    This is one of the classic and most common aspect ratios of large format cameras. I like this aspect ratio very much.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dimitrios

Dimitrios SC Rookie

Aug 22, 2010
    Athens, Greece
    I think that Canon payed attention to what people said about S90... A very attractive camera. Does anybody knowes if it has focus lock?
  6. Remko

Remko SC Rookie

Aug 8, 2010
    Not sure what you mean with Focus lock, but the manual can be downloaded here: Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot S95

The camera has manual focus (you can then focus with the front dial). And from what I've heard the zoom and the (manual) focus settings are stored in the custom mode. Nice for street snap mode (focus @2m, zoom @35mm or 50mm and fire away).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dimitrios

Dimitrios SC Rookie

Aug 22, 2010
    Athens, Greece
    That's what I mean't, thanks!