Canon T2i (550D) vs Nikon D3100

Scythe

Rookie
In short, after snooping around and seeing that the LX5 is indeed smaller than a D5100, but still not really pocketable, and I would end up needing a bag to move the TL500 I planned on getting, or always use the shoulder strap. With the requirement for a bag in mind, I looked into entry-class DSLRs. I know the T2i and D3100 aren't exactly in the same price range, but they are actually in the same size range, with the t2i being a bit smaller (a plus to me).

With that in mind, I've been over the snapsort comparison and the reviews of each at the usual stops, and seen that they are +/- equal in image quality, and perhaps the Canon is ahead for video. The major difference that I can see between the two (or at least my deciding factor) is that the canon has a built-in focus motor, which means that in theory, lenses are cheaper and if you're recording video, it's quieter. The T2i also has external mic imput, but that's getting aside from the main focus, the stills.

Really, is the focus motor on the T2i really worth it? I can't seem to find many good and also cheap (<$300) Nikon lenses that are "G" class, aka built with a focusing motor.

The T2i has no focus motor, because all Canon EF lenses have a built-in motor. That is, you can use all Canon EF lenses without restriction.

That information is wrong. You can read about the different lens motors here. The EF mount has no mechanical links with the lens:

The bayonet-style EF lens mount is at the centre of the EOS camera system. Breaking compatibility with the earlier FD mount, it was designed with no mechanical linkages between moving parts in the lens and in the camera. The aperture and focus are controlled via electrical contacts, with motors in the lens itself.
(Wikipedia)

For what it's worth, I have been a Canon EOS user since 1997 and currently own and use a 50D and a Rebel T1i (500D). What Pictor is stating is absolutely correct. There is no mechanical linkage between the EOS bodies and the EF lenses. All EF lenses have motors built in. The only thing that varies is the type of motor, since some are "Ultrasonic" (silent type) and others are not.

Regards,

Antonio

I see, after watching some nikon and cannon dslrs having the crap beat out of them on youtube by digital rev com. I think I'll be going with the canon, the nikon's autofocus in video seems to be actually more of a nuisance than something that is really helpful.

All Nikon bodies did once have a focus motor built into the body, and the higher-end bodies still do. Nikon's first foray into autofocus used body-mounted AF but they eventually followed Canon's lead and built the AF into the lenses. In the interests of cost and weight saving the entry-level Nikon bodies since the D40 do not have the built-in AF motor, which has lead to the rather odd scenario (it's 2011 now, remember) where you can still buy brand new autofocus compatible Nikon lenses that won't autofocus on the entry-level bodies. Not many, but some.

If you go the Canon route, find a dead Canon camera (ANY Canon camera) and get 20% off a refurb T2i direct from Canon. Google "Canon Loyalty Program"

If you go the Canon route, find a dead Canon camera (ANY Canon camera) and get 20% off a refurb T2i direct from Canon. Google "Canon Loyalty Program"

That's awesome! My mom has an old broken canon P&S from like 2004, 4MP, took decent pictures, but the zoom in the lens broke, it got stuck in the body... yay for saving $120 on a body from broken stuff!! :D

Just a short note, I carry my EX1 in a coat / jacket pocket, which works fine as long as I take my coat with me. Admittedly, that's not 100% of the time, but the Dutch weather means that I'll be wise to have a coat with me at least 95% of the times I go out further than a trip to the supermarket, so it's very uncommon for me not to have my camera with me. I don't know how good or bad the New Hampshire weather is, but maybe it's something to consider.

Just a short note, I carry my EX1 in a coat / jacket pocket, which works fine as long as I take my coat with me. Admittedly, that's not 100% of the time, but the Dutch weather means that I'll be wise to have a coat with me at least 95% of the times I go out further than a trip to the supermarket, so it's very uncommon for me not to have my camera with me. I don't know how good or bad the New Hampshire weather is, but maybe it's something to consider.

NH is known to have some of the most erratic weather in the world, if you're really interested look up "Mount Washington Weather," Mt. Wash is about a 20 minute drive from my house.

Is the D5100 really significantly larger and heavier than the D3100? I wouldn't have thought so. Canon and Nikon have relative strengths and weaknesses compared to each other but the differences are not huge. Either would be fine.

BTW, I have a Nikon dSLR and the choice was fairly clear for me.

Back