carnival night

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by pdh, Oct 1, 2011.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Carnival season is arriving in the West of England ... as I understand things, in Dorset (part of the Wessex Circuit) the tradition dates mostly to WW1, but in Somerset things go back a bit further, to the Gunpowder Plot (and probably beyond that, knowing Somerset ...)
    God knows what shenanigans went on a few hundred years ago, but even in recent memory the huge Bridgwater event was a venue for settling up old scores amongst families ...
    However, today in Dorset there is altogether a more refined and peaceable (and smaller) affair ... last year on mu43 I asked for (and got) advice about night shooting with the E-P2+17mm, but wasn't that confident ... perhaps today will be different (there'll be a lovely warm light evening for a start - it was pissing down last year) ... at the children's parade in the afternoon I took the 35mm Summicron to (it seemd right for the length I'm seeing and the light we have today) ... but I spoiled my best shot because I accidentally moved the focus-assist box with my thumb and ended up with a compromised composition ... it's my one real bugbear with my otherwise well-loved E-P2 - the ease with which I end up changing ISO or WB or anything really by accident and so losing shots (the DP2s by comparison has nice clicky controls that require a positive effort to use) ...

... for tonight I'm torn between the E-P2 + 17 @ 1600 or the DP2s @1600 ... either way I'll go mono I reckon ... or the E-P2+20/1.7? .. decisions decisions ... the 20 and the DP2 are easy to use hyperfocal but it's again all too easy to give the focus ring a nudge on the 17 ...

anyhoo, here's a couple or four to begin with ...

2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I liked this old gent ... this is a beefy crop as his head was in deep shadow whereas his rather impressive belly was in bright sunlight (the E-P2 is not up to such a DR) .. there's some trigonometry in there too of course ...

[​IMG]
    20111001-3 by _loupe, on Flickr

3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nothing to add to this one, except ... mmm Leica colour ...

[​IMG]
    20111001-4 by _loupe, on Flickr

4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    this is the one that I cocked up ... it's perhaps 10% of the original image ... her costume and makeup were simply gorgeous and I'm annoyed to have missed th opportunity to record it (we need Briar for occasions like this)

[​IMG]
    20111001-2 by _loupe, on Flickr

5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    this is my pick of 4 almost identica lshots .. obviously I liked the three drummers in a row, but the woman's eye behind the rearmost drummer's chest chose this one for me ...

[​IMG]
    20111001-1 by _loupe, on Flickr

6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    damnation this was tricksy ...

these girls were all texting heads down when I raised the camera ... but the DP2s is not a camera for snappy shotmaking ...

[​IMG]
    20101001-12 by _loupe, on Flickr

DP2s, 1/30s, f/2.8, ISO1600

7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    this guy was really swinging ...

[​IMG]
    20111001-5 by _loupe, on Flickr

E-P2, Lumix 20/1.7, 1/80s, f/1.8, ISO1000

10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I kept trying to get this guy with his pink headgear (and glowing knob) but it never quite worked out ... so a conversion to BW ...

[​IMG]
    20111001-8 by _loupe, on Flickr

E-P2, Lumix 20/1.7, 1/50s, f/1.8, ISO1600

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    conclusions -
    don't try and use a DP2s for this sort of job after dark (well, quelle surprise);
    do use iAuto mode on the E-P2 for this sort of job after dark (none ofthe results are here because they were uninteresting shots, but the IQ was the best of the night);

there were some lovely shots to be made of little kids ... however in the UK in 2011, a single middle-aged guy taking photos of little kids ... never going to happen I'm afraid ...

might post a few more when I''ve had a look at the rest in the cold light of day.