Celebrating 'eid' in the old city in Hyderabad

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
I drove over to Hyderabad from Bangalore (about 600 kms/375 miles) to take pictures during the Ramzan celebrations in the old parts of the city.

And to sample festival food.

In fact I think it was primarily the lure of excellent biryani (a lot like 'pilaf' or 'paella' to the uninitiated) that got me there.

People eat after fasting through the day, and combine it with a bit of shopping, and the place is buzzing till wee hours of the morning.

"Buzzing" as you shall subsequently see, is an understatement. It's well... insane.

I was shooting in miserable light, and even though I was carrying my X100, I chose to shoot black and white jpgs with the GRD.

While taking these pictures, I kept muttering to myself "Film grain is good, stop worrying about grain. Think of it as an exfoliating face-wash, washing over your subjects to lend clarity to the scene", etc.

I hope I'm able to convey a sense of what it was like being there.

DKjof.jpg

KlwKw.jpg

xNGJ1.jpg

JJI6h.jpg

uondy.jpg

CkMxd.jpg

zbD8I.jpg

kqo7s.jpg

oppvy.jpg

w1NZm.jpg

f3NW8.jpg

cbyCk.jpg

0FwRz.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I had a blast. It was a lot of fun. Did have biryani, but called in for it. During Ramzan there's no biryani on the streets. Instead what's served is this high protein mystery meat mash called "haleem", which I had for the first time and will never try again. One spoonful was enough. Though you'd find enough people who'll swear by it.

Back