1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Changing avatar pic seems troublesome

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Matero, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi Amin,
    I don't know whether I've found a bug in the software or it is related to my browser/OS in my computer.

I tried to change my avatar picture and can't do that, so it seems.

Symptoms:
    1. First I tried to change the pic with Safari browser, just selected new picture to be used as avatar, I get flash upload completed. I select okay, and old avatar remains in place
    2. Then I first deleted the old avatar. Selected new one, again 'Upload completed', selected okay, and old avatar popped up, strange
    3. Then I thought maybe it is the browser cache, changed to Firefox, same procedures, same results = can't change the avatar

System:
    OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan
    Safari 9.0.3
    Firefox 42.0

What could be wrong here?

2. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Uhm ... if see a b&w image now instead of the hockey player, is the avatar (main image) already changed?

M.

3. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, but the hockey player stays on my screen, weird. So, seems to be my browser then. I'll be back....

4. marlof

marlof Trying to focus

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    I see the Hockey Player next to your post, but if I click on it a B&W portrait appears as avatar. Weird.

5. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    And hockey player just stay on my browser everywhere, strange

6. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Same for me. When I click on the hockey player in the post above this one, a summary profile window opens up with a B&W portrait.

Win 7, IE 11

-R

7. taqtaq

taqtaq SC Regular

May 31, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    Tuukka
    All I get is a hockey player no matter which browser on OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I remember before the software change there used to be 2 different avatars. I forget what they were called. But one would be on your profile page, and another one would be used alongside your posts. Maybe there is only one in the new software, I can't find two different places to load an avatar.

Have you tried to completely delete it and just leave it blank? Does the hockey player remain?

9. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    image. Now I deleted avatar from iPhone.

I attached the pic showing no avatar.

10. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ok, then. I tried to add new pic as avatar. I can see it already, but when selecting okay, the hockey player shows up again. Quite irritating sportsmen

image.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Hi @Matero@Matero, we do some caching at the CDN level, so after you change your avatar it may appear that nothing has changed, but after a while you will see the new avatar. I'm not exactly sure how long that takes. Currently I'm not seeing any avatar for you.

12. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi Amin, I deleted the hockey player avatar 3.47 PM (I think my local time +2 GMT). That's why you couldn't see it.

Then I just tried to upload new one. Immediately when I selected another pic for avatar, BW portrait, all I can see is this hockey player. Look the attached pic. At least I don't know whether there is now avatar or not. And hockey player or BW portrait. Strange EDIT: I see now hockey player, although uploaded the BW portrait for sure

Näyttökuva 2016-01-31 kello 17.11.06.

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Matero,
    I think you need to just leave your b/w portrait there and maybe in a day or so, the system will update (if I am understanding Amin's post clearly).

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    That's right. It should fix itself after a while.

15. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ok then. I'll be patient (against my nature, heh) :thumbup:

16. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    There You are!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Excellent, I was tired already after a lot of skating, needed line change :2thumbs: