Charities

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Name
Garry
I only popped in to the supermarket to get a drink and ended up sponsoring a dog with Dogs Trust !
How did that happen !
I made up my mind ages ago that I would choose a few charities and give regularly . It's just not possible to help every single one. So I do Dogs trust , RNLI and guide and assistance dogs. There are a few I used to do but cancelled when I found out how much some of the top brass were paying themselves .
What charities do you support and or subscribe to ?

I had a great discussion with somone about Mary's Meals last night. They have a rule that the top bods can only draw a salary that is 3 x that of the lowest paid worker. Pretty good, eh?

I tend to back MacMillan and the Maggie's Centre. I do a lot of practical stuff for TOLFA - the Tree of Life for Animals. I have, in better times, had direct debit set up for the British Red Cross. My next venture is, I think, with a Glasgow team called Loaves and Fishes who serve a sit down dinner twice weekly for 40 homeless people and arrange access to a range of professionals.

So many good causes out there, hard to know how to spend a tight budget!

I'm a member of the RNLI, the Brooklands Trust and Greenpeace. I always give generously for my poppy. I organised the first Leica Forum book that raised over £10k for AICR.

I have a real issue with "chuggers" - charity muggers who aggressively work the streets in many British towns, signing people up to direct debit. When you take into consideration the cut they take and how little goes to the charity, it is a scandal. I sign up direct, or not at all.

I did a quick google on charity CEO remuneration and found that the Salvation Army head gets £10000 pa whereas many of the others get more than the Prime Minister with some well over £100k. Needless to say the SA gets my contribution.

I did a quick google on charity CEO remuneration and found that the Salvation Army head gets £10000 pa whereas many of the others get more than the Prime Minister with some well over £100k. Needless to say the SA gets my contribution.

Fund Raising did and has become a priority - I did quite a lot of work with a number of the (bigger) traditional Charities some years ago. The Management Teams became quite high powered in their drive to raise money through many different Channels. The meetings we had with "The Board" were just like those in any commercial organisation. Most Chief Executives, (or CEO's), were recruited commercially at "market" rates as they seemed to employed the "best" people to raise the most money.
I'm not say what's right and what's wrong but unfortunately, once again, money can dominate.

Back