1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Charlie Waite and Compact Cameras

Discussion in 'Ask B&H Photo' started by soundimageplus, Jul 11, 2010.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Picture 1.

Charlie Waite, the UK landscape photographer, has just released a DVD called Travelling Light where he uses a variety of compact cameras.

There is a video on YouTube which you can view here.

Charlie Waite Website.
    http://www.charliewaite.com/home.asp

As a companion piece to this there is an article, from earlier in the year, by another well-known UK landscape photographer
    David Clapp on using the GF1 as a landscape camera.
    His article is full of wonderful images and can be seen here with a follow up article about using a Sigma 10-20 zoom here.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    What an amazing video. It basically summarizes what this site is about - quality photography with small(er) cameras. Here's the video for those who didn't follow the link:

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/vLjLo-XjmyE&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

• Like Like x 4
  3. Underneath

Underneath SC Rookie

Jul 6, 2010
    Love this guy more every time I watch him. He's unpretentious, and has such a varied subject interest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alc217

alc217 New to SC

Jul 9, 2010
    I think it's great that more people are jumping onto the bandwagon when it comes to small form-factor equipment. And with today's great software, stitching photos together effectively negates the resolution issue.

At the same time, the traditional PnS cameras have really come a long way, with a nice selection of "pro" PnS (a la Panny LX-3 or Canon G11 & S90) now available to satisfy those who need a "M" mode. :smile:

It's now up to us as users to recognise that size doesn't necessarily matter any more, and that indeed, it's the photographer, not the gear, that makes the photo. Time to leave all the extra gear at home and walk out with the LX-3!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Great clip and I think I'm in love with Charlie Waite - as Underneath noted, he's completely unpretentious. Very well done video that covered an awful lot of key observations along with a feeling of excitement. I'll definitely be checking out his site.

6. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    It just goes to show that it's the photographer, not the camera. It reminds me of the common misperception that a "better" camera will make you a better photographer, whereas instead folks should focus on mastering the one they already have, learn to use tools such as filters where appropriate, and focus on composition and the mind's eye. He seems to encourage just these things.

BTW in looking up the video it appears to be sponsored by Panasonic, and indeed he uses Lumix cameras exclusively. However, at least in the trailer there is no indication at all of any particular brand push.

I might order this DVD.

7. Dunkeld

Dunkeld New to SC

Jul 16, 2010
    I like what I see with Charlie Waite. A matter of fact approach, and no signs of being "La Prima Donna" The guy is a very good educator and I take my hat of to him. That said, I'm struggling to see his travelling light videos which are now being show in the Daily Telegraph.
    Either the DT or ooyalla, the outfit showing the online videos have a bug. I keep getting messages saying my internet is disconnected.... but that is rubbish. I saw a few links to youtube for his vids. But I live in China where youtube is blocked. Does anyone have a ooyala/youtube free link for the vids?
    Dave T.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    He does appear to have a relationship with Panasonic:

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/QFf67YvDChA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
    <embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/rDMRkd2-TRc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

• Like Like x 3
  9. LisaO

LisaO SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Someone should tell him about paypal. I might have ordered a DVD, but calling is so old fashioned.

10. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I bought this DVD around the same time I placed the order for my LX5, it just arrived today and I'm watching it right now. I'm really enjoying watching it so far, it really is like a masterclass with Charlie.

Are there any other types of DVDs like this by other photographers?

I ordered the DVD via PayPal from the Enviro website which linked back to Charlie's PayPal account.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    The Enviro website?

12. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    :clap2: Thanks!

14. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Hmmm that looks like a great DVD to get. A b-day prezzie for myself in Jan I think.

It does just go to prove that it is the photographer and not the equipment!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    Superb !!! I used to take transparencies a lot... and composition WAS EVERYTHING.... tempted to get back into them after watching that.... :wink:

His DVD 'Seeing Scotland' is in parts on Youtube... however there is no embed link, so to view each individual episode, you'll have to follow the link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keSwpGsmNe0

Mal.