Check your metadata!

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by kyteflyer, Mar 24, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The thing that makes me take that article with a large grain of salt is that it accuses Flickr as being one of the worst offenders.
    But all my metadata is intact on my Flcikr images ...

3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I also wondered about that. I know that some of my iOS applications strip the metadata (which is why I no longer use some of them) and am thinking perhaps those who complain about stripped metadata might have done it themselves, or been careless. Nonetheless its always worth keeping an eye on it.

4. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    This is a non-issue. The creator has copyright irrespective of the metadata or not. Metadata does not protect you. Besides, anyone stealing your work can either strip out the metadata or rewrite it. Hold onto that original file.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Always. However, sometimes I want my metadata visible (not the copyright info, the camera and exposure stuff) because sometimes people like to look and see what you did, and what you did it with. It would annoy me if things got stripped. I know why Facebook does it. I dont know that I believe flickr does it. and I don't use twitter, ever, for posting images, so no clue there.

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Some software I use strips it. But I can always find the original with EXIF intact if I need it.

7. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Exporting an image from Lightroom can be set up to strip metadata with the checking (or is it unchecking) of a single box. Using Save for Web in Photoshop Elements also strips exposure data IIRC.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Flickr will store whatever exif data you throw at it. It is your editing or uploading software that is blame if it goes missing when uploading images.

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Meanwhile, those of us who start from film... :rolleyes::D

Sent from another Galaxy

10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ... can use exiftool to put all their camera, lens and exposure data into scan jpegs when they upload to flickr :biggrin:

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    YES! I've only just discovered that :)