Choice of Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Marruk8865, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I have several memory cards (SD) but I do not know if these cards are also suitable for use with the Nex-5 movie option. The cards that I have: 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 4 and Class 4 16GB Sandisk VideoHD. These are 15MB / s.

I doubt if I should switch to the Class 6 ExtremeHD Video (20mb / s)
    So far I have only made short films and thus no problems detected. But I do not know if it makes a difference with longer movies or burst shooting. Class 4 cards would then also be sufficient?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    The consensus is Class 6 or better for video. I use a Class 10. With burst shooting the camera internal buffer will often be the limiting factor.

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I think what I've read is Class 4 is the absolute minimum but I agree with bilsmale, the feedback I've received from others is at least Class 6 or higher. I personally go for Class 10 just to be on the safe side, even if it's overkill.

4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I use a Class 10 8gb Panasonic "Gold". Works very well on my NEX3.

5. djnww

djnww SC Rookie

Nov 20, 2010
    Agree with everyone. Technically, Class 4 should be sufficient. I went with a Trascend Class 10 to be safe.

Cheers,
    Dan

6. mine

I personally have a class 6, 16GB, works well. I previously had a class 4, 8GB and upgraded for the larger space.

I personally see no speed difference between the class 4 and 6, although I have not shot a lot of movies, mostly pics.

7. Ballenxj

Ballenxj SC Regular

Dec 17, 2011
    I just picked up a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme SD-HC memory card. Any thoughts on this?
    -Bruce