Chrome OS Chromebook, yes or no ?

I just got one since my desktop died and I was left with dog slow laptop.
Chromebooks are basically thin/web clients...very like tablet save no apps are locally installed they are browser plug ins.
Still learning the in outs...

Chromebooks are fine as long as you know what you're getting. Essentially, the operating system is simply a web browser. The idea is, most of the programs you need will be in the web or cloud. They make a lot of sense if you need essentially the functionality of a tablet but prefer the form factor of a netbook. Some links here may help:

Review: The Chromebook is a great second computer | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Samsung Chromebook 3: Cheaper, more productive alternative to a tablet

Samsung Chromebook Series 3 Review - Watch CNET's Video & Read Our Review - page 2

No more than my Tab, I suspect. But it is not a full-featured Windoze or fruity machine so some compromises are to be expected. I'm curious to know, myself.

Sent from another Galaxy

I'm using a Samsung Chromebook to write this. For the price, i'd rate it far higher than the netbooks we have. Indeed, it performs better than my Pentium dual-core desktop generally too.

It's ideal for web-browsing and very responsive. I use many of the Google "cloud" services including Docs for my office apps, Play for my music, Google+/Picasaweb for images & video, and Calendar and they all work very well. I use Yahoo for e-mail. Without a wifi connection, I can still access my documents locally though some are then read-only (e.g. spreadsheets, calendar). It boots very quickly - I believe that 7 seconds has been mentioned, has a great keyboard, adequate screen and good battery life.

What it doesn't do is my Lightroom/Photoshop work - mind you, the netbooks are practically unusable with those sort of applications too. Basically, if your requirements are met by a web browser and applications in the "cloud", then I'd heartily recommend it.

I'm using a Samsung Chromebook to write this. For the price, i'd rate it far higher than the netbooks we have. Indeed, it performs better than my Pentium dual-core desktop generally too.

It's ideal for web-browsing and very responsive. I use many of the Google "cloud" services including Docs for my office apps, Play for my music, Google+/Picasaweb for images & video, and Calendar and they all work very well. I use Yahoo for e-mail. Without a wifi connection, I can still access my documents locally though some are then read-only (e.g. spreadsheets, calendar). It boots very quickly - I believe that 7 seconds has been mentioned, has a great keyboard, adequate screen and good battery life.

What it doesn't do is my Lightroom/Photoshop work - mind you, the netbooks are practically unusable with those sort of applications too. Basically, if your requirements are met by a web browser and applications in the "cloud", then I'd heartily recommend it.

+1 to all the above
since i carry a mifi everywhere it works well

+1 to all the above
since i carry a mifi everywhere it works well

The ongoing cost of a MiFi is something I'd rather not face - especially as I'd need more than one.

My particular need is for three portable computers to run software for my wife's business, which is conducted at locations that don't have Internet access. The software is proprietary and runs on a standalone basis, but the data can be transferred to the principal PC running at the house. Was liking the price of the Chromebook, but it appears not to be fit for this purpose. Will see if I can get the netbook to load and run this app.

I have multiple Mifis but only because I've been caught up in the hype since they first came out. I don't currently have an account which can use them but am on the brink of signing up with a company from which I can get 2GB/m for $10/m. Its not much, and its more money than I really want to pay, but its enough for my meagre needs *if* I happen to be out and about. I would use my iPhone as a hotspot if it didnt get too hot for my liking.

IF I were to get a Chromebook, it would only be for non-critical stuff. Web, email, the odd browser game. and it would absolutely have to have net access so a mifi would be essential (doesnt Chromebook come with a 3G/4G slot??? If not, it should). However, I am an Apple girl for now, so for me, the mobile solution is

View attachment 5531

with which I *can* use decent photo editing applications, and do nearly everything I currently do on my computer. Because its wifi only, I still need a mifi. But its far more flexible than a chromebook and with that little detachable keyboard is as portable as I need it to be. With the keyboard (a smart cover it is) closed up, it just looks like a neat little laptop. Here it is.

The recent purchase of Adobe Photoshop Touch has helped, but I also have Photosmith which has a lightroom plugin and you can pretty much do all your bag and tag on the ipad with that, which will then sync to Lightroom on your computer complete with tags, ratings etc. Brilliant little bit of kit if you dont have it. Now, all I need to do is find the blasted camera connection kit which I have lost sometime in the last 12 months!!!

I know... I rambled, went offtopic etc etc... I guess the answer is NO to a chromebook if you expect to be mobile and do anything useful. Also, I dont think I would ever want to be completely dependent on google/docs etc... that would be a mistake, IMO.

Sue, I have 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab with photoshop and a keyboard case and 4G SIM card, my only issue with it is the lack of USB or Ethernet ports, hard to upload without them unless one uses bluetooth.
Most of my usage is browsing, email and chat.
Of necessity trying the "full mobile experience", relying less on post processing like i used to with my GRD first gen, using histogram to adjust exposure before hand. hence my use of my Nokia and GRD3

Sue, I have 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab with photoshop and a keyboard case and 4G SIM card, my only issue with it is the lack of USB or Ethernet ports, hard to upload without them unless one uses bluetooth.
Of necessity trying the "full mobile experience", relying less on post processing like i used to with my GRD first gen, using histogram to adjust exposure before hand. hence my use of my Nokia and GRD3

Doesn't your TAB do wifi? I do everything via wifi on my iPad, even appstore stuff of late (and right now, as of 5 minutes ago, I have sold my macbook pro - I'm getting a Mini - I'm going to have to do without computer/itunes connection). I thought that the Tab did wifi and that you would be able to use it to access other things.

I discovered a short time ago that I would be able to access my photographs on a drive attached to my wifi router (an AEBS) via an app on the ipad, and then do the processing in PT and bag and tag in photosmith, whilst waiting for my new computer. I know that Android has a bazillion file browsers, don't any of those access outside the OS on the device?

[edit] OOhhhh we can doublethank!!

Lili, You can get usb - galaxy adaptors easily on Amazon for a couple of quid; card readers and video output cables too. I also make use of Dropbox and Google Drive across all my devices, one for work and the other for personal, to file share. Simples :D

Sent from another Galaxy

Doesn't your TAB do wifi? I do everything via wifi on my iPad, even appstore stuff of late (and right now, as of 5 minutes ago, I have sold my macbook pro - I'm getting a Mini - I'm going to have to do without computer/itunes connection). I thought that the Tab did wifi and that you would be able to use it to access other things.

I discovered a short time ago that I would be able to access my photographs on a drive attached to my wifi router (an AEBS) via an app on the ipad, and then do the processing in PT and bag and tag in photosmith, whilst waiting for my new computer. I know that Android has a bazillion file browsers, don't any of those access outside the OS on the device?

[edit] OOhhhh we can doublethank!!

My tab does wifi and 4G
it does not have a built-in USB port, one to get an adapter which cannot be used while docked
Also there is the matter of 16gb storage on the tab versus 320gb on the chromebook... Will have to look into file-sharing apps, thanks Sue!

Lili, You can get usb - galaxy adaptors easily on Amazon for a couple of quid; card readers and video output cables too. I also make use of Dropbox and Google Drive across all my devices, one for work and the other for personal, to file share. Simples :D

Sent from another Galaxy

Thanks Bill, I do have a full set of those and use them. The do not work while docked however.
Also, unless there is something I have not seen, all the keyboard cases are bluetooth with hideous battery life, at least for my Galaxy tab 10.1
none are quite so elegant at that for the iPad...

I got a Chromebook for free and like it a lot. Highly recommended if you need an extra netbook around for web browsing and email and are already using Chrome, Gmail, Google Calendar, etc. If you don't already use the Google apps, I'd pass.

I got a Chromebook for free and like it a lot. Highly recommended if you need an extra netbook around for web browsing and email and are already using Chrome, Gmail, Google Calendar, etc. If you don't already use the Google apps, I'd pass.

Drink the Google kool-aid and it'll be ok...
;)

That makes sense.

I went with a MacBook Air. I find it more versatile, and of course it can run Windows too if needed. I don't use any Google services.

I only use some google services, though I am considering making the jump to google for photo hosting instead of remaining with flickr when my Pro comes up for renewals. I use gmail and G+ (erratically, but the photography groups are getting better now) but not calendar or docs. I do use Chrome as well as Safari. I've dropped firefox entirely now, dont even have it on the computer anymore.

Back