Closeup with Fuji X100 V2 firmware

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by kyteflyer, Oct 27, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Now this is more like it. I had awful issues trying to do a decent closeup *and* get a good shallow DoF... Happy now.

10505825484_92152b6791_b.
    Locked by kyte50, on Flickr

Lets see what others are doing? X100 may be passé now, but I like it. I hope theres another one or two of you who feel the same.

• Like Like x 6
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I've been doing some close-ups with the new firmware just yesterday - all without ever engaging macro mode. Go Fuji!
    (I'm not entirely pleased with the results from a creative point of view, and I'm going back to see if I can improve on those shots today - hopefully I'll post the results this evening)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    From the department of redundancy department . . .

. . . I'll link to something I said on the related post: https://www.photographerslounge.org/showthread.php?t=22910&page=2&p=153083#post153083

I would encourage all who are pleased with the firmware upgrade to let Fuji know. If you scroll down from that link, you'll find contact information for a PR guy at Fuji who was involved with one of the camera announcements.

I think that generally consumers will readily complain when they are not pleased but will not take the time to "encourage good behavior" on the part of companies.

Seeing what Fuji has done to upgrade the firmware on the X100 certainly makes me want to look at Fuji for my future camera needs.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 2
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Looking forward to seeing them :)

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    I don't think the x100 is passe at all - it's a great camera.

7. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    • Like Like x 4
  8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Some lovely stuff there... I think my faves are 4 and 6. The reflections are nice but I love the clear shots of the leaves :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Thanks Sue :smile:
    I wanted to do a shot with both the reflections and clear leaves (that's what I wasn't satisfied with yet), so I went back yesterday to do some shots at f/16 instead of f/8 or f/2. However, there's a storm passing over the Netherlands since yesterday, so fat chance of getting the perfectly still water that's required for that mirror look...

• Like Like x 1
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Ahhh. got it! Looking forward to the perfected shots!

11. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I wasn't getting the thing to lock onto the part of this plant that I wanted last night, but the new focus peaking made it very, very quick and easy in manual.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm really surprised that we got focus peaking via a firmware update (and am v pleased about it, I must say)... if it was that "easy" why did we have to wait so long, and why dont other manufacturers do the same thing... one wonders...

In the meantime, nice shot, well caught. Clearly, focus peaking works beautifully :)