"Closing Our Browsers" (on the impending death of browsing)

Yeah, I'd love to never set foot in a grocery store again. I find the repetitive nature of buying the same groceries week after week to be literally soul-crushing. If I ever decide to end it all, it might very well be in the frozen goods section.

That is a classic! For me it would be the can food aisle!

They say you should know the people who produce your food. That's not possible with lots of it in this day and age, but we're lucky enough to live within a block of our farmer's market, which is held every weekend most of the year and every other through the winter. We've been getting the vast majority of our meat and produce from the same farmers for several years now, including a CSA for produce through the winter. THAT's personal shopping I actually enjoy - I've gotten to know these folks over the years, know a lot about how they produce what they produce, and have come to trust that we're getting healthy food grown sustainably and smartly. Many of them are Mennonite, a few may be Amish as well, and plenty of "English" too.

I used to have a good relationship with the local pharmacist, even after they got bought out by a national chain. But then our insurance mandated that for the bulk of our medicines, we have to go through an online pharmacy or we pay exorbitant co-pays. It's not a small difference in the name of keeping local businesses going - it's a HUGE difference. We can still get one-time prescriptions that we need in a hurry (like when we're sick) at the local shop, but any of our maintenance meds (for my asthma and allergy issues, my wife's rheumatoid arthritis, etc) we have to go through the online pharmacy. I hate that, but I don't have a lot of choice. It works for me for now, but what happens when the reduced business causes those local pharmacies to close altogether or radically reduce locations, hours, etc???

Anyway, for stuff I buy all the time where I can actually establish a personal relationship, I love shopping in person. There are local restaurants we've been going into forever and know the owners and senior wait-staff. Hell, I've been getting pizza slices from the same guy for 22+ years now! I like all of that a LOT. But for most anything else, I don't enjoy the process - I do what I need to do but that's about it...

I don't have a big problem with the frozen food section either! :cool:

-Ray

Back