Color gamut and printing woes

Thanks again for all the help, Gordon. I'm very slowly getting a better grip on this. I bookmarked your very informative article for future reference.
I'm looking to pick up either the Dell u2410 or the u2711, however, I'm not sure if it will even work with my 6 year old imac. More searching and reading!
No. You did nothing wrong. 70% is the historical norm for Apple. It's only in the last 18 months they've made screens with more than 80% of sRGB. Even the IPS screen iMacs have quite small gamuts and low bit depth. There's more to a screen than just the panel itself. Although they've always been touted as the OS for designers and artists this has been because they've had a good policy in implementing colour management, not because they've made great screens. I'm no longer surprised by the Mac fanatics (I use Mac, so....) who think that Mac systems come calibrated from the factory or that they have the best screens money can buy. They don't.

As for a screen. Dell are good but cheap"er". NEC are great. Eizo are the pinnacle but pricey. There may be others but they're the ones I've owned.

Gordon

Just taken delivery of the Dell u2410. Amazing leap in quality. Still getting used to various bits, will post later. Amazed at what 'wide gamut' using Adobe RGB does for visual quality! Impressed too with what my GF1 and Sony Nex 5N are capable of. There is immense detail in those shadows and which I can only now see for the first time.

Just taken delivery of the Dell u2410. Amazing leap in quality. Still getting used to various bits, will post later. Amazed at what 'wide gamut' using Adobe RGB does for visual quality! Impressed too with what my GF1 and Sony Nex 5N are capable of. There is immense detail in those shadows and which I can only now see for the first time.

Congrats!!! I really like mine, too, though I haven't been doing anything much with it since the cold weather hit. Me and the lappie headed for the warmth of the loungeroom and have stayed there ever since. I know what you mean about seeing things for the first time - the difference between my 13" MBP and what turns up on the u2410 is incredible.

Back