Color images from nature

Very true, despite the cavalie rattitude some TV programs portray. Any time you are dealing with wildlife there is potential for danger.

Well, I want to warn everybody against doing light-heartedly what I did. One should really know which species a snake one wants to photograph belongs to and how far one can go. The Aesculapian snake always flees if flight is possible and can be very aggressive if it feels cornered without any possibility to flee. I knew that and acted accordingly. There are many snakes I would not get nearly as close to as I did in this case. Fortunately, in my country there are about two dangerous snakes which look completely different than the snake I photographed. It is always better to be more careful than necessary, because a bite by a venomous snake can be lethal.

I nearly tripped over this beauty, a Grass snake (Natrix natrix), but managed to loose off a shot with the E-P2/Lumix 14-45mm-- terribly framed in the original, this needed a big old crop (I can't see a bloody thing in the LCD without my glasses ... vanity, thy name is pdh ... ) ... that wonderful yellow band at the neck was a real surprise ... these are the "commonest" British snake (we only have 3 species) but I can't remember the last time I saw one ... not venomous ...

5946418941_db3c05db54_b.jpg

natrix by _loupe, on Flickr

E-P2, Lumix 14-45mm, 1/200s, f/5.6, 45mm, ISO200

I'm inclined to think n8 and m8 in that order.
Based on colour rendering and contrast, and because you've blocked access to the EXIF ...

Shucks, I should've saved a lot of money! It's the top one thats from the M8 & Sonnar, and the bottom from the camera phone!

Truly these camera phones are getting very good indeed :)

I'll edit my post in a bit and put links thru to the full res originals (without any manipulation, other than export dng->jpeg) and you'll see that the M8 holds a comfortable advantage when put under any sort of critical side by side examination. But I'm mighty impressed with what Nokia have done here, if only it were as fast off the blocks as a proper camera...

hehe but then I'm looking at them from work on a cheap 'n' nasty uncalibrated lo-res dell monitor
(if you want to stick with the N8 from now on, just pop the M8 in the post to me and forget all about it)

I know its easy to say with hindsight but the bottom one to me is clearly inferior - blown highlights in the sky and very little shadow detail

PS Looking at the full size M8 picture you'll need to do some sensor cleaning:)

(if you want to stick with the N8 from now on, just pop the M8 in the post to me and forget all about it)
You wouldn't like it, nah, probably not your cup of tea :)

I'm not joking, It was cleaned by Solms before I bought it, and I've only got the one lens - so it has to all intents and purposes been unopened for months... DUST JUST GETS IN!!!
Spotting in lightroom is becoming something of a second job, it infuriating! I'm not really looking forward to cleaning the sensor myself, but it is on the cards for sure.

You didn't hear it here first, but the M8 is truly a dust hoover.

~ spidey ~

6091728973_06ea841c4e_b.jpg

Shucks, I should've saved a lot of money! It's the top one thats from the M8 & Sonnar, and the bottom from the camera phone!

Truly these camera phones are getting very good indeed :)

I'll edit my post in a bit and put links thru to the full res originals (without any manipulation, other than export dng->jpeg) and you'll see that the M8 holds a comfortable advantage when put under any sort of critical side by side examination. But I'm mighty impressed with what Nokia have done here, if only it were as fast off the blocks as a proper camera...

I think the N8 is one of my favorite cameras of all time. Loved the comparison!

Thank you Lili ... I love this lens best of those I own, it sorts out the complications of a scene so beautifully .... wish I could remember which trees these are, the brilliance is the underside of the leaves, so their beauty is revealed only when the wind disturbs them ...

I know its easy to say with hindsight but the bottom one to me is clearly inferior - blown highlights in the sky and very little shadow detail

the M8 sensor is like a dust magnet!!!!

for the minor "spots" - LR is your friend

Back