1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Comparison of B&W Clear UV haze filter as a protector instead of lens cap.

Discussion in 'Sony RX1 Forum' started by rpavich, Aug 26, 2013.

1. rpavich

rpavich SC Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    I bought a B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M) filter to protect my lens, I decided to forego the lens cap and just use a clear filter and hood ala David Hobby.

So...since I've never been a "protective filter" on the lens sort of a guy and that I'm a pixel peeper of the worst kind, I thought I'd do a test to see what kind of image degradation happens with the filter on.

I'm happy to report, that I don't see any that is worth talking about. There is a SLIGHT loss in contrast and a SLIGHT loss in sharpness but you have to crop about 400% and zoom to 2:1 to see it so I didn't get upset about it.

Here are the crops and for reference the crop size screen shot is below also.

The filter is 39.00 on Amazon with 2 day free shipping for prime members.

DSC01863.

DSC01862.

crop size.

2. DigitalPimp

DigitalPimp SC Rookie

Aug 25, 2013
    Great thanks... Have the Sony clear uv filter on mine and was wondering whether or not I'd have loss but I can rest at ease now knowing it's protected and the shots will come out great :)

3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I always use filters. My experience is that except with very wide lenses (where I remove the filter for anything critical) they don't affect my images noticeably.

Cheaper than a new lens and I can be hard on lenses, lol.

4. raconteur

raconteur SC Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    S.E. Wisconsin
    I bought a 49mm Protection Filter by Heliopan, the slim mount one. I bought this one because I really liked the fact that even this slim version is threaded and will accept the lens cap, which I still use.

It is brass and spins on and off with ease and I see zero difference with it on versus off.