Sony Comparison of B&W Clear UV haze filter as a protector instead of lens cap.

rpavich

Veteran
I bought a B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M) filter to protect my lens, I decided to forego the lens cap and just use a clear filter and hood ala David Hobby.

So...since I've never been a "protective filter" on the lens sort of a guy and that I'm a pixel peeper of the worst kind, I thought I'd do a test to see what kind of image degradation happens with the filter on.

I'm happy to report, that I don't see any that is worth talking about. There is a SLIGHT loss in contrast and a SLIGHT loss in sharpness but you have to crop about 400% and zoom to 2:1 to see it so I didn't get upset about it.

Here are the crops and for reference the crop size screen shot is below also.

The filter is 39.00 on Amazon with 2 day free shipping for prime members.

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

crop size.jpg

Great thanks... Have the Sony clear uv filter on mine and was wondering whether or not I'd have loss but I can rest at ease now knowing it's protected and the shots will come out great :)

I always use filters. My experience is that except with very wide lenses (where I remove the filter for anything critical) they don't affect my images noticeably.

Cheaper than a new lens and I can be hard on lenses, lol.

I bought a 49mm Protection Filter by Heliopan, the slim mount one. I bought this one because I really liked the fact that even this slim version is threaded and will accept the lens cap, which I still use.

It is brass and spins on and off with ease and I see zero difference with it on versus off.

Back