Comparison Test - Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A, Sony RX100

Using the camera's "auto" mode really doesn't let you compare the cameras so much as their auto modes. As noted, the Ricoh tends to default to f4 when you give it a chance, whether in auto mode or P mode. The grain may just be the NR settings the jpeg engines are choosing as defaults in auto - Ricoh tends to use less NR, which for many is a good thing, but probably not for auto shooters. And its also using the highest ISO, but 1100 is not a challenge for this camera, so I don't think the ISO explains it... But, yes, the Ricoh does have a different color signature than the other cameras, which have a bit more "pop". People will argue all day about which is more accurate, but the bottom line is if you LIKE one more than the other, that matters. It matters less in raw, but it still matters there, because one may give you a starting point closer to your ideal, and require less work to get the final image where you want it.

Don't worry - one of these will likely emerge for you as the one you're just more comfortable with. I didn't know you were a D800 shooter, but that might give the Nikon a bit of an edge, since the interface, while notably scaled back, is conceptually similar to the Nikon DSLR interface. For me, the bulk of my preference for the Nikon came down to the auto ISO setup, which makes my life a lot easier when I'm street shooting - I do a lot of street and this will be my primary (almost only) street camera. That feature probably wouldn't be a big deal at all to a lot of folks, but for me it's huge. I also liked some other less important things better about the Nikon (exposure comp, metering, and I actually came to prefer the simpler interface rather than the more customizable one of the Ricoh, which I've liked a lot for a few years now with other Ricohs). But I also liked a few things better about the Ricoh - snap focus and being able to switch to it immediately is an awfully nice shortcut to zone focus, which I use a LOT, and I've never had a small camera feel better or more natural in my hand than the GRD3 or the GR. The ND filter isn't a bad thing to have either. But on balance, I just started feeling more comfortable over all with the Nikon and the auto-ISO was the determinative reason. You'll probably find one just speaks to you more too. Neither is an even remotely bad choice, but one might be better for you...

-Ray

Thanks for taking the time to share that Ray.

Yes, I was quick to get to grips with the Coolpix A settings, though that works both ways - a few things were missing, and I am used to more dedicated dial controls for navigation. The D800 is a super camera, but I find I only take it out when I am thinking ahead - it goes on 'outings' rather than out and about.

I reserve all judgment about the three compacts - a.) until I've used them for a lot longer, and b.) until I have got to grips with the finer settings, have customised them to my needs, and so on.

Taking three quick shots in auto mode doesn't tell me much - except how the camera performs by default. In practice I will use the A and the GR in particular in the customised pre-set modes, in manual, and so on. One set up in particular will be for quick street shooting.

I will take my time with all three cameras. I have no doubt that all/any are superb, with different strengths.

A note on the Ricoh - I can see why these have such a devoted following. I've never used another camera quite like it. It is the least set up for picking up and shooting. It begs to be fine tuned by the photographer. I haven't yet warmed to the look and feel of it, except in the sense of real respect for its relentlessly functional design aesthetic. I didn't like its roughened surfaces... except that it is easier to hold. I didn't like its somewhat cheaper build feel... except that it is 20%+ lighter. I didn't like its dull finish... except that it is stealthier. And the level of control is awesome. Makes me curious about the older 35mm film GRs....

But I am also a sucker for quality you can feel. I like my M3. On the Coolpix A, I like the way that command dial has a positive spring-click, spring-click action. LOL! Oh dear!

Yes, in the end I bought these so that I would take MORE photos by dint of always having a camera in my pocket. So far, so good.

Ray, I've read some comments about relatively slow focusing on the Nikon. I've read a lot of your posts here and elsewhere and it doesn't seem to be a problem for you?

I got my GR a couple of days ago and first off I was not happy, it felt cheap and hollow. I guess I've become spoiled by the heft of the RX1 and the EM5. I took 100 shots or so, garden and dog, not really what I bought it for, and promptly put it up for sale on Amazon. Not sure why I felt this way after all, I have a film GR, had an Ricoh X100 (?) and GXR but I did, that was my gut feeling. After another day I thought I'd give it another try and was completely bowled over. I set it up to suit and fired away at everything and anything...... great results as far as IQ and usability. It really is as light as a feather and can be used one handed. I'm looking forward to using it as it was meant, for street shooting and casual take anywhere photography.

Ray, I've read some comments about relatively slow focusing on the Nikon. I've read a lot of your posts here and elsewhere and it doesn't seem to be a problem for you?

Its not. First off, I don't find it that slow. Its not as fast as the OMD, but otherwise is pretty much on par with most mirrorless cams. In really good light, the GR is a bit faster, but its not a speed demon either. In poor light, the Nikon is a bit better but neither are great. But, more importantly for my use, when I'm shooting anything where speed is of the essence, I'm using zone focus. I find I can use the Nikon (or GR if I was using that) as open as f3.5 and still get a reasonable zone of focus, and AF speed becomes irrelevant. And that's in low light - in good light, f6.3 focussed at two meters and the whole world is basically in focus.

So, for those who are really relying on their AF for catching action or immediate moment shots, its OK but not great. Among the current crop of mirrorless cameras, I'd say the GR and the X100s are a bit faster, but only in really good light. And of course the current m43 bodies and the Nikon J and V bodies are in a different class. But I'm a zone focus kind of guy - the fastest AF in the world isn't as fast as that and you don't have to frame with AF in mind. So, no, not a problem for me - maybe a problem for some...

-Ray

Back