Feedback Copyright

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
Hi everyone, do I keep my copyright if I upload images taken and edited by myself?

I have started a discussion at DPR, link Copyright of images uploaded to DPR: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

px500.com respects copyright! Thanks px500.

minus.com I still don't know, waiting for a reply/answer. I have sent them a tweet.

Google +, I have sent a tweet to mr Tim Barribeau.

SC? Amin and/or Luke can tell us.

Flickr?

Picasaweb?

Facebook?

Twitter?

Herman, as a rule, yes you do. You are right to be cautious since some sites "assume" grant of copyright by the action of your posting on their servers. That is one of the reasons why I go nowhere near Facebook, or certain competitions (notably anything run by the BBC).

It should be in the terms and conditions for every site that you have named.

I think as a general rule, copyright remains with the originator unless he or she specifically assigns it to someone else.
I don't think any of the services you mention insist that you assign copyright to them.

You'll find that all these sites have terms which say something like "you give us the right to publish ..." and you need to agree to this because otherwise they can't legally show your photographs on the site. Just be careful when you read the wording. Facebook has tried to take ownership at least 3 times that I am aware of, by allowing third parties access to your stuff, to do with what they want, whilst paying money to facebook but not to you. I dont know of any circumstances under which it has actually happened, but at various times, the terms allow it. I have very little on facebook, not that any third parties would want what I have. With regard to Google+, similar fears were expressed in the early days but were unfounded. Not so with facebook.

Our policy on copyright is here: Terms and rules

Basically, you retain all rights but by posting here you give permission for your photo to be shown where you post it and also give us permission to move/show your post anywhere else on the site, which means that we can move your post/thread or feature it on the front page of the site, and people are allowed to quote your post which re-displays your photo in their post. We will never try to use your photo for something else (like an ad, promotion, book) or sell it to a third party.

Back