Sony Correct filters please advise :

adam

Regular
Name
Adam
Dear Everybody ,

Well, I've finally done it and have ordered an RX1R - My bank account is somewhat depleted :blush:

And now I need to purchase UV and Polariser filters.

Are the following okay for the RX1 ?

B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M)

B+W 49mm Kasemann Circular Polarising MRC Filter

Does anybody use these on their RX1 ?

I ask as I understand that some B+W filters are too slim which means that the sony lens cap cannot grip on properly ! Secondly , is a circular polariser okay with the sony focusing system !

Thank you much.

Adam.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your RX1-R.

I am not very active here but, I have used B+W filters for many years.

I don't know what you mean by asking if they are OK for the RX1, but I assume you are not asking whether they would fit or not. So, I can give you a run down of some filters in the market.

When you buy filters, any filter that has the same diameter fits, so no issue there.
Filters cost what they cost for a few factors: light transmission, flatness of the filter itself and ring metal build.

In general, Heliopan and B+W are known for being the best filter makers. Heliopan uses the same glass manufacturer as Zeiss (Schott) while B+W uses Schneider-Kreuznach. Are they different? maybe...but I have yet to see a distinctive measurable advantage of one over another. What about Hoya and the others? They can be very good too, but I have never owned them so I cannot comment. One thing for sure, they do cater to the lower end of the market more (affordability) so they have more to choose from.

So, with that said, your choice of B+W is good. I actually use the same filter you are buying (the XS-Pro) and since I can't tell the difference between filter on and filter off...it must be very good. That being said, you can save a bit of money with the non-XS (extra slim) filter from B+W. Same glass...just thicker rim. I have that one too on my second RX1.

Now, the polarising filter, I don't know. I would assume they are excellent, but I do know you pay extra for the Kasemann version because, if I am not mistaken, it is a bit more dust/weather proof than the non-Kasemann version. I have not owned many polarisers and when I did have them, I used them rarely. So, while my guess is that you are making a good bet, if your bank account needs room to breathe, I would look for the non-Kasemann version or maybe see if Heliopan can offer you the same filter but (if you're very lucky) for a bit less money. Still, I would not discount Hoya as a possible source for filters but, as I say, B+W is a pretty safe bet.

Hope this helps.

I use the same UV filter (though not on the camera you mention). A great filter for the price. My circular polarizers, rarely used now that I don't shoot slides, are B&W, with one 30 year old Canon filter in perfect condition.

Back