1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Custom paracord camera strap

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by davidzvi, Mar 7, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    I posted a 2 part thread about this over on Amin's m4/3 forum. But I thought some over here might be interested as well.

I was looking for a new strap for my E-M10. Something so I could hang the camera on my should or just secure it on my wrist. The closest I found to what I was looking for were things like the Joby's 3-way camera strap or OP/TECH USA Mini Loop Strap-QD. But I didn't want something that mounted from the tripod mount and the mini loop is only recommended for 2.5lbs.

After searching for a while I found an Etsy store that was using paracord 550 (as most do) but they also have a wrist strap with paracord Type 1. To me 550 is too heavy and Type 1 a little too thin for a shoulder strap. So I contacted them and asked about making something (basically a lanyard) with Type 275 which is a little thicker than Type 1 but much lighter than 550.

They made it to the length I requested, it's long enough to hang on my shoulder but paracord 275 isn't too thick to comfortably wrap around my hand. I did also get one of there small wrist straps so I have options. And it was only $25 for both (plus S&H).

Here's their listing for the standard wrist strap they make: RuggedXessories
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/156769006/camera-lanyard-paracord-lanyard-wrist?ref=shop_home_feat_1

My custom straps:
    i-jfDJ9vc-M.
    i-n2hQ6mb-M.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. It does look nice and well priced, but I am simply not a wrist strap fan.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    I like the simple secure one handed carrying but I wanted the shoulder option as well. When I had one of the smaller Pens I used an old Konica APS camera strap / lanyard. I wanted something a little heavier for the E-M10. I basically do the same thing with my DSLRs when I'm only carrying one, loop the strap around my wrist / forearm. But for the E-M10 I only wanted one attachment point.

They do have a more traditional strap, but again, for these smaller bodies I think it would be nice in the lighter paracord 275 instead of the 550.

4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'll give it whirl for $13. I like wrist straps and I'll try it on the EM1.