DAY 13 - Golden October

Some very strange 'volunteer' plants sprang up near the compost heap in the garden....they're not of the edible variety....but with their twisted shapes and multi-hued bodies, they could be something out of the vegetable version of Dante's (Garden) Inferno. Plus, this is Oregon where everyone's nuts about the nearby college football team, the 'Oregon Ducks' - whose uniforms and team colors are green and yellow, so I couldn't resist -

10241591956_cb497fd534_b.jpg

2-Tone Mutant Squash by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

It's raining all day, so this one is from yesterday.

p583346780-5.jpg

You certainly have an abundance of fruit and veg to photograph. I contemplated buying some squash/gourds in the supermarket yesterday, purely to photograph! They were too expensive though :)

I know what you mean: sometimes there are really cool or fabulous looking strange veggies - including ornamental squashes - at local markets or supermarkets - but often they tend to cost an arm and a leg....so that one practically needs to take out a bank loan just to acquire a few. The alternative is to either make friends with your neighbors - who happen to have voluminous vegetable patches or gardens themselves - or, alternately, I imagine...go down to a local Farmer's Market and talk to some of the sellers/farmers. I'm guessing most of them would be tickled pink to have a real photographer come by their gardens to photograph some of their more obscure and dramatic (or mutated!) vegetables. :)

Some very strange 'volunteer' plants sprang up near the compost heap in the garden....they're not of the edible variety....but with their twisted shapes and multi-hued bodies, they could be something out of the vegetable version of Dante's (Garden) Inferno. Plus, this is Oregon where everyone's nuts about the nearby college football team, the 'Oregon Ducks' - whose uniforms and team colors are green and yellow, so I couldn't resist -

10241591956_cb497fd534_b.jpg

2-Tone Mutant Squash by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

Just don't let them breed with Osage Oranges - anything could happen!

I was at the opening of a new nature preserve today, and what did I get? Virginia Creeper! And yes, after carefully rereading site FAQs, I'm playing the "fine print" card: "small DSLR cameras (you decide whether it is small enough to be called "small")" and I'm sneaking in a shot from the Nikon D40!
10260660933_7822f8e5ed_b.jpg

Virginia Creeper at Amboy Marsh by rubyj29, on Flickr

Thumbnail
10260660933_7822f8e5ed_t.jpg

Virginia Creeper at Amboy Marsh by rubyj29, on Flickr

AAAAAnd - I'm caught up!

Back